Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Building a vBulletin 3.x to Vanilla 2 importer

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @oinkfu I'm definitely going to come up with a solution for the BBCode. I don't want that solution in the base importer though, because some people may elect to use a BBCode plugin rather than stripping it out or converting it all to HTML. My solution will likely be a combination of stripping out the color, size, and font BBCodes while coverting the rest to HTML. As with anything I do for Vanilla, I'll make it available on GitHub at the very least.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.
  • edited December 2009
    @Lincoln

Sounds awesome.

Man that importer worked so well, you're a magician.
  • edited December 2009
    @Lincoln

Hold the phone, I am getting this error whenever I'm trying to post (once I've completed the import): VbulletinImportID is required.

Also I can post new discussions, but the comment/post part of the discussion doesn't post, only the title.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2009
    Pushed an update to fix that. You can simply drop the column VbulletinImportID from GDN_Comments on your copy to fix it. Thanks!
  • Yeahp, fixed. Thanks dude man.
  • Holy crap this is awesome I have over million posts and 300K threads and I want to move to Vanilla because its simple and open source. I hope you guy's support this as much as u can and thanks to Lincoln for making this possible!
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2009
    @Convoe Heh, I'll support it as best I can, mate. I highly recommend doing test runs on a separate server and thoroughly testing the result. Feedback appreciated. Hopefully you'll see more from me in January, especially a way for dealing with all the bbcode left behind.
  • CodersCoders New
    edited December 2009
    I almost forgot about the bbcode...
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2010
    I'm starting to regret having a PM importer at all. I may remove it. It's very jarring to try and start using Conversations if you expect it to work like Private Messages did. It would probably be better to warn users to download their PMs first and wipe the slate clean so they don't have an expectation of parallel functionality.
  • Looks like a PM App is required for Garden, then it could import directly into that - so could all the other phpBB clones out there (vbulletin, IPB, Punn etc).

So then, who's got time to write one? =D
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I'm taking the opposite approach: My users will be required to get over it. ;) PM is a poor imitation of email as far as I'm concerned.
  • StashStash
    edited January 2010
    Haha :D Fair enough, but sometimes you don't want to let other people get to your email address and PM allows back and forth while (potentially) maintaining a certain level of anonymity.

If you are going to drop PM from your addon, please keep the code knocking about somewhere, as it would be a great starting point fr anyone who wished to transfer the PMs over.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Sure, that code took too long to write to just delete it anyway. ;)

Considering it takes 5 minutes to sign up for a Gmail account and link it to your existing account as a secondary address I don't really buy into the email hiding idea. It's one thing to not want it published on the Internet, but if you want to have a serious conversation with someone, it's time to cough up an addy.
  • Trust me when I say that it matters to some users, and they are the very users who find it *very* difficult to sign up to create a new, even temporary email address.
  • CodersCoders New
    edited February 2010
    OK, so the importer imports all 182,146 of my users, but after that it just fails. There are a lot of categories and sub categories. There are 234,300+ threads and 1,645,000+ posts. I commented out the avatar, attachment, and personal message imports because it isn't necessary (for me).

As for the sub categories, V2 has no sub categories, so should I wait for the "labels/tags" which will replace sub categories or will there be something in the V2 core?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited February 2010
    It says in the docs that you can only have 25 categories. You can comment out the limit, but it's still going to die at 32 categories because that's all the V2 database can handle.

I don't expect any subcategory or label functionality in the V2 core.
  • @Lincoln I'm trying to convert my vBulletin 3.8.3 forum to Vanilla 2 using your converter. I get to the 2nd screen of the importer but it just seeems to hang on the "Preparing tables for import" step.

What am I doing wrong?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Try running it in Firefox with the Firebug plugin enabled so you can see the error message it's choking on.

The feedback on these importers is pretty lame; they're definitely not a long-term solution. Sorry for the trouble.
  • edited February 2010
    I only get a syntax error via the console.

Syntax Error: < !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd" >
  • edited March 2010
    @Lincoln

Also getting the same problem as MJEdwards with the latest version of vBulletin and Vanilla 2.

Gets to "2/19 Preparing Tables for Import"

Freezes there.