Users running a non-download version of Vanilla (pulled from github), on branch release/2019.016 or master from the last 2 weeks should upgrade to release/2019.017 or latest master for security reasons. Downloaded official open sources releases are not affected.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Convert bbpress to vanilla

edited August 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello

I want Convert bbpress to vanilla

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    We don't have a converter for bbpress yet, but it is planned. Stay tuned.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Also, if you are programmatically inclined, you can start to work on the converter yourself - this is an open source project, after all!
  • edited January 2010
    Have the work been started on this yet?
  • edited January 2010
    I intend to make a converter. It will be for BBpress 0.9x though, not sure how different it is to 1.0.
  • I'm a bit hesitant about using a "standard" importer in my situations, as it's rather large forums, and it will probably timeout before it's finished, if that functionality is not taken care of in the implementation.

I think i will look into some mapping sql statements directly on the database... I'll post my experiences afterwards...
  • Importing data should be taken care of in steps and batches, as would any processor for large amount of data. I don't think that is going to be a problem.
  • edited January 2010
    @fredwu I agree - but I went through the vanilla 1 to 2 importer and it didn't have that structure in my vague look at it yesterday...

Anyway I'm up for helping out.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @Todd has been working on this again - trying to come up with a speedy solution.
    @AnotherDan can you give me an idea of how big your export might be in terms of users/posts/comments? I've written the basics of an export file and it exports the community forum in about 35s on my laptop.

I haven't added the ability to break up the files into chunks yet, but that may be necessary for uploading if nothing else.
  • edited January 2010
    @Todd I can, i'll just make some count's...

Users: 10169
    Topics: 54176
  • I'd love to have a look at this too, and would be happy to run it against a local install for the conversion and throw the converted data into a live db later... any progress on the export tool?

Looking at about 100,000 posts in my case.
  • When you guys start working on this, please take a look at @Lincoln's vBulletin importer. Either the work he's done can help you, or some of the work you guys are doing could help him! It would be great to get a standard importer framework that just allows you to plug in different convertors (eg, vBulletin, phpBB, bbpress, punbb, smf, etc.) that get written as and when the need arises.
  • LincLinc Director of Development Detroit Vanilla Staff
    @AnotherDan I've got a vBulletin forum with 700,000 posts. Scaling is definitely at the forefront of my mind.
  • @Lincoln Cool - something came up (security flaw in phpBB and some other issues) that changed my priorities so I'm migrating a phpBB forum right now to vanilla2. The size is about half the bbpress that's up for migration afterwards.

Trying to do purely in SQL - so far it's going quite ok.
    I've written a password converter inpsired by yours.
  • Hi everyone,

I would like to move from bbPress to Vanilla. Is there any converter available now ?

Thanks for your help

Francis
    The porter does have a bbPress option in beta right now. Check it out at http://vanillaforums.com/porter
  • Great to see a porter from bbpress, i have been looking all over for it!

BUT

I have a bbpress database that is integrated into wordpress. This means that there isn't any bb_user table and when i run the porter the porter halts with the error "Missing required database tables: users"

Have you guys any idea how i shall fix this?

I guess i could export the wp_users table in some way and import it, but im not sure how to do it.

Sure need some advise here

/Caponx
  • Hm, some ideas:

- export the user-table of wordpress and import it in bbpress - that will may work by export the necessary tables with phpmyadmin (or something similar), rename the colume names and paste the sql code in the bbpress table

- export the wordpress user tables direct to vanilla2 and comment out the part in the exporter script, that tries to pull the user table

- you may able to change the exporter script to directly pull the user table of wordpress, but I guess that will be more difficult