HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

ETA on a release candidate?

edited March 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I know this has likely been asked before (and I'll probably get grilled asking again), but is there an ETA on a release candidate? If not, would I be safe to assume that a checkout from GitHub would be upgradable to a release candidate of Vanilla?

I'm torn between Vanilla 2 and phpBB at the moment. I'd much rather use Vanilla but I'm worried about the upgrade process once a release candidate becomes available. My main concern are changes that would be made to the database structure - I'd assume they'd be rather minimal (I'd imagine Vanilla 2 wouldn't be powering these forums if that wasn't the case).

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Thus far, there's been an upgrade process for each major iteration on GitHub. The database structure is mostly stable at this point.
  • While Lincoln's correct, there's no *official* support at this stage, so it is still possible (however unlikely) that there could be an update that doesn't have an upgrade process provided. You have no guarantees yet...
  • @Lincoln
    can you update your v2 install to latest github from the dashboard? i've been downloading the newest github and rewriting all the files manually
  • lucluc ✭✭
    Just do "git pull" from your install dir.
  • ahh.. yeah i dont have ssh access set up. That requires ssh right?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    yep
  • Use the git or http url git://github.com/lussumo/Garden.git

You only need ssh for write access on your fork (if you have one).
  • lucluc ✭✭
    @Dinoboff: I guess he meant ssh access to the box where his site is intalled.
    Not everybody got ssh access to its hosting server.
  • @luc right. I have ssh access but havent took the time to set it up. I use ftp
  • lucluc ✭✭
    There's nothing to set up.
    You connect and you've got a shell, it's much easier and faster to work with.
  • @lincoln: Where can I keep track of the major iterations? Do you note this on gitHub or on this site?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited April 2010
    @jheathco: There are no major iterations; it's per commit on GitHub. Major iterations = releases, which there have not been yet.