Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

ETA on a release candidate?

edited March 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I know this has likely been asked before (and I'll probably get grilled asking again), but is there an ETA on a release candidate? If not, would I be safe to assume that a checkout from GitHub would be upgradable to a release candidate of Vanilla?

I'm torn between Vanilla 2 and phpBB at the moment. I'd much rather use Vanilla but I'm worried about the upgrade process once a release candidate becomes available. My main concern are changes that would be made to the database structure - I'd assume they'd be rather minimal (I'd imagine Vanilla 2 wouldn't be powering these forums if that wasn't the case).

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Thus far, there's been an upgrade process for each major iteration on GitHub. The database structure is mostly stable at this point.
  • While Lincoln's correct, there's no *official* support at this stage, so it is still possible (however unlikely) that there could be an update that doesn't have an upgrade process provided. You have no guarantees yet...
  • @Lincoln
    can you update your v2 install to latest github from the dashboard? i've been downloading the newest github and rewriting all the files manually
  • lucluc ✭✭
    Just do "git pull" from your install dir.
  • ahh.. yeah i dont have ssh access set up. That requires ssh right?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    yep
  • Use the git or http url git://github.com/lussumo/Garden.git

You only need ssh for write access on your fork (if you have one).
  • lucluc ✭✭
    @Dinoboff: I guess he meant ssh access to the box where his site is intalled.
    Not everybody got ssh access to its hosting server.
  • @luc right. I have ssh access but havent took the time to set it up. I use ftp
  • lucluc ✭✭
    There's nothing to set up.
    You connect and you've got a shell, it's much easier and faster to work with.
  • @lincoln: Where can I keep track of the major iterations? Do you note this on gitHub or on this site?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited April 2010
    @jheathco: There are no major iterations; it's per commit on GitHub. Major iterations = releases, which there have not been yet.