Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Load Balance Vanilla2 - Storing Sessions in Database

edited May 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
We're looking to use V2 in a load-balanced environment. Is it possible to store sessions in the database? If so, how could I go about accomplishing that?

Comments

• Hi! I'm also interesting in know more about this.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@juworld, Sessions are stored in cookies, if I recall correctly. There is a session table that stores recent session data.

I am honestly not too sure what you are trying to do.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2014

As @hgtonight‌ says sessions are actually stored in "keyed-hash message authentication code" (HMAC) verified cookies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash-based_message_authentication_code

So they are effectively not stored at all, except on the client.

People often believe that stored sessions are best, but his in necessarily the case.

The session table is for actually stashing information temporarily between requests, and is used occasionally. The session table does not store anything to with either authentication or verifying the session.

Neither should make any difference to load balancing.

grep is your friend.

• Cool! Thanks for the replies.

@hgtonight‌, basically we have a load balancing in place and we just want to make sure that the PHP session is not stored in the /tmp directory to avoid any possible session issue.

By looking at the replies, I see that shouldn't be an issue =). I'll go ahead and test that out!