Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Feed Publisher

Comments

• Options
    Uploaded version 0.3.0 of Feed Publisher.
  • Options
    This last version doesn't include the option for making the feeds public in a closed forum (anyway, the trick is easy).
    It's just to allow you to use SimpleCache, as we needed to prevent FP to stop the Vanilla execution.
    Thanks to Klod for his tests.
  • Options
    just came across a little problem when a thread title contains an unencoded ampersand - the feed blows out and doesn't display due to the 'error'. needs to be stripped / changed on the fly, i reckon.
  • Options
    EDIT: mmh, sorry, I changed my mind, there are upstream things to fix. I'm on it...

Hi chris, could you try to change a line in ReturnFeedItem() function of the functions.php file?
    Replace
    <title>' . $Properties[ 'Title' ] . '</title>
    by
    <title>' . htmlspecialchars( $Properties[ 'Title' ]) . '</title>
  • Options
    This should fix it, please confirm Chris:
    link to the fix.
  • Options
    already mentioned here, but I think this is more bug then anything else:

I guess in categories_config.php on line 41, 42, 62 and 63 there should be something like this
    <a href="'.$Configuration['WEB_ROOT'].'search.php?PostBackAction...

instead of
    <a href="/search.php?PostBackAction...

it causes 404 error if vanilla is installed in a subfolder when accessing discussion board feed or general discussion feed.
  • Options
    works great, thanks grahack!
  • Options
    @klip
    The code in this file has been separated because it's pure personal config, so you can easily update FP without touching your settings.
    I know I sometimes make things more tricky than they should, but this time I made them simpler (or it maybe was just Dan39!).
    So feel free to tweak this file as you wish.

You are the first to report this, if you think that adding $Configuration['WEB_ROOT'] will help people to understand this file and put working code in it, please try to convince me again, because I prefer to leave it as is. Maybe the comments are not clear enough.

Thanks sharing your idea, I don't want to break any "reporting will", it's really great from you and we all love our community.

Now I'm gonna release this new version...
  • Options
    @Grahack

sure, no problem, it is completely up to you :)

I just went through the config file again and now I maybe understand better what you mean.
    I was just thinking that it should work with the default config on a default installation (even the Vanilla is installed in a subfolder).
    I think another configurations will be rare.

If this is not going to be changed then take my comments as just an example of configuration :)

And I just want to say I realised there is more /search.php links there then I wrote in my previous comment.

So I changed all occurancies of /search.php to '.$url.'search.php
    and put $url = '/'; at the beginning of all code so I have only one place to change if I need to change root folder.
    Actually I have there $url = $Configuration['WEB_ROOT'];

anyway, thanks for this extension :)
  • Options
    Uploaded version 0.3.1 of Feed Publisher.
  • Options
    hi again :) what about an option to not include Sticky discussions in feeds?
  • Options
    That's interesting, but what's your issue? Once the item is read, it musn't show up in the reader anymore. Maybe you mean: "not sorting the sticky discussion at the top"?
  • Options
    hmm, I got feeling from RSS feed that sticky discussions are in the feed always at the top. I tried to use an IRC bot grabbing feed from whole Vanilla community forum and it seemed to me that there are sticky discussions all the time at the top and nothing else. IRC feed bot works fine for usual news feeds. Maybe I'm missing something :) Or maybe there is something non standard in Feed Publisher installed here :) Sorry for confusion :) I guess I mean what you say :)
  • Options
    1) FP is not installed here at lussumo, it's maybe RSS or CrudeRSS
    2) you can use searches to track discussions with feeds, try
    http://lussumo.com/community/search/?PostBackAction=Search&Keywords=&Type=Topics&btnSubmit=Search&Feed=RSS2
    you should get what you want
  • Options
    great! thanks :)
  • Options
    Ok Guys... There's a serious problem with Feedpublisher and all the rest... IT is creating "Duplicate Content" which = BAD SEO = BAD SEARCH RESULTS! Look at the front page of this forum, hover over the first link, look and see where the link will take u... Now click on the a feed, compare the two links... both are taking you to the same page, but with different urls!!! this = Duplicate content! How can we fix this? I haven't used and feed yet because of this, and my homepage is just dieing for a feed for my forums... Note: ~> I do have friendly urls installed. is it possible to just ad something to the .htaccess file for the friendly urls to solve this? THanks, Wayne :P
  • Options
    Nice pickup waynem80, now let's hope one of the talented gurus has a solution!
  • Options
    First let me make it clear: FP is NOT installed on lussumo.com (we tried to with Mark but an unknow problem appears).
    OK, let me repeat this to see if I understood:

On the home page of lussumo, we have this link
    http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/7410/open-sourcing-our-addons/#Item_43
    In the feed for this home page, we have this corresponding link
    http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/7410/

On the home page of my local test site (FeedPublisher installed), I have this link
    http://feedpublisher.local/comments.php?DiscussionID=6&page=1#Item_2
    In the feed for this home page, we have this corresponding link
    http://feedpublisher.local/comments.php?DiscussionID=6&Focus=37#Comment_37

So in each case, we have two URLs that lead us to the same content but with slightly different URLs. Search engines consider this to be duplicate content (different URLs = different pages). My questions:
    1) I guess the GET string is part of the URL, so different GET strings are considered different pages, am I right? People that don't use pretty urls have the same problems that the others.
    2) what about the anchor value? Is it considered as a different request? My guess is no (sorry, this is a very little part of the problem, but I wanted to know).

I'm not a SEO guru but I have an idea: will a robots.txt make it?

EDIT: I investigated a bit but it seems not feasible with simple skills only. Any robots.txt guru here?
    I see no solution but trying to build exactly the same URL.
  • Options
    Yeah, you're following me right :P ... I understand alot about SEO, but not enough about how friendly/feed's work, so I can't come up with the solution, All i can do is help find problems.. :) Wayne
  • Options
    You want something like this in your robots.txt.
    User-agent: * Disallow: /*&Focus= Disallow: /*?Focus=

You can test it out in the Google Webmaster Tools. Google (and other search engines) will ignore any URL that has a Focus parameter in it.
This discussion has been closed.