Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Notifi

Comments

• Options
    Hello, I have this addon installed with vanilla 1.1.6. It is activated and all the settings look fine but I don't see any subscribe buttons or links. Are there some templates I need to download?
  • Options
    I just found a bug when using HTML emails, here is a patch for it:
    (against version 2.0.3)

--- default.php.orig 2009-10-04 18:09:55.218753000 +0200
    +++ default.php 2009-10-04 17:10:50.960311000 +0200

$e->Clear();
    $e->AddFrom($DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['SUPPORT_EMAIL'], $DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['SUPPORT_NAME']);
    $e->AddRecipient($val[1], $NotifiName);
    - $e->Subject = $DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['APPLICATION_TITLE'].' '.$DiscussionForm->Context->GetDefinition('Notification');
    + $e->Subject = '['.$DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['APPLICATION_TITLE'].'] '.$discussionName;

// Save the ID of the user to be emailed
    $currentUserId = $val[0];

$jumpToComment = $lastViewedComment-($pageNumber.'0'-10);

// Include the email templates
    - include('_includes/emailtemplates.php');
    + //include('_includes/emailtemplates.php');

// See if the admin has chosen to send emails as plaintext
    if ($DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['NOTIFI_FORMAT_PLAINTEXT'] == 1) {
    + include('_includes/emailtemplates.php');
    if (isset($CommentID)) {
    // If this is a new comment in an existing discussion
    $message = $plainTextOldDiscussion;

} else {
    // If BBCode support is enabled, process it
    if ($DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['NOTIFI_ALLOW_BBCODE'] == 1) {
    - $mComment = htmlentities($mComment);
    + $mComment = htmlentities($mComment,ENT_QUOTES,'UTF-8');
    $bbSearch = array(
    '/\[b\](.*?)\[\/b\]/is',
    '/\[i\](.*?)\[\/i\]/is',

// Insert line breaks in the comment
    $mComment = nl2br($mComment);
    -
    +
    + include('_includes/emailtemplates.php');
    if (isset($CommentID)) {
    // If this is a new comment in an existing discussion
    $message = $htmlOldDiscussion;

Download it here: http://student.physik.uni-mainz.de/~aneiser/notifi-default-utf8-bbcode.patch
  • Options
    oops, what a long discussion thread!
    This one hopefully is just a minor from a complete Vanilla newby:

notifi apparently is working nicely so far, or at least it was. Then I realized that everytime I was logged in as forum admin, I saw this notification on top of everything tellnig me

>> Remember to customize the Notifi settings for you and your users. You can do it at the Notification Settings page.

Besides it link to let me hide that notice. But it never would be hidden, not matter how often i clicked it. So I disabled notifi, then tried to re-enable it. But now the above mentioned message still is there, but there aren't any subscribe / unsubscribe links in the navigator pane. So I guess I somehow messed up.
    Would you by any chance have an idea of how

a) get my notifi subscription links back?
    b) get rid of that stupid message once and for all?

here's the raw data:

installed Vanilla version is 1.1.9
    language pack is German 1.1.5 Formal
    a few extensions are installed as well; don't know whether I should list them now; maybe I let you ask for that first :-)

Thanks for any hint, I'd be happy to have that extension back again just as it is, it's a great one, really...
  • Options
    ok, update: my subscription links are back; it's been just me myself; in the attempt to get rid of said notice I must have enabled "Force notification in all cases" and that must have hidden the links.

So at the moment only that "remember to customize" notice issue remains...
  • Options
    For those interested in using Notifi as an administrator to update the notifications to other users, here is my version with modifications to allow this. The "Edit any user" privilege is needed to allow this to be done.

I ask this question many times: what can be done about orphan extensions that are not apparently maintained by their authors any more? Is it stuck in limbo? What about all the bug fixes and features that people submit to the comments? If they do not get dealt with, Vanilla will rot away, because Vanilla *is* its extensions.

Browse files here:

http://consil.co.uk/svnpublic/projects/vanilla/extensions/Notifi/

The same URL can be used to pick up the latest files using a subversion client. Just help yourself, and apply the changes as you like. This is just my copy, so I'm not forking the extension or maintaining my own version numbers - it is just a version I use on my own sites, and there appears no way for me to feed it back to the project to make Vanilla better, apart from through these comments. So come on Vanilla - make this stuff easy for us...

-- Jason
  • Options
    Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/yann/projects/vanilla/public_html/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 117

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/yann/projects/vanilla/public_html/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 117

I am getting those errors.

Anyone has any idea?
  • Options
    Is this with version 2.0.4?
  • Options
    Oh also, if you used a previous version that didn't give you that error, which version was it? It would be useful for finding out what caused it
  • Options
    @SubJunk. Yeah, it was version 2.0.3 for the last error. I have upgraded to 2.0.4 and it gives me a similar yet different set of errors. All I have done is to unzip the addon in vanilla-1.1.10/extensions/ and enable it via the settings tab. Is there anything else I must do for this to work? Thank you.

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/yann/projects/vanilla/public_html/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 123

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/yann/projects/vanilla/public_html/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 123

• Options
    The SQL generating the above is:

SELECT SubscribedEntireForum FROM LUM_User WHERE UserID = '16293'
    SELECT SubscribeComment FROM LUM_User WHERE UserID = '16293'
    SELECT SubscribeOwn FROM LUM_User WHERE UserID = '16293'
    SELECT SubscribeComment FROM LUM_User WHERE UserID = '16293'
    SELECT KeepEmailing FROM LUM_User WHERE UserID = '16293'

Having checked in the database, those are indeed not present. If there something I should run before the extension creates those tables? I am importing a lot of data from punBB so this may have caused some problems although I do not do any deletions whatsoever. Just data import.
  • Options
    The installation script should have modified the database. You can see what should be changed in Notifi/_includes/install.php

Hopefully you can add them manually. In the next version I should make it show a notice when the installation fails
  • Options
    @SubJunk: Thanks. That did the trick.
  • Options
    I have just installed this addons and the PreModeration. The problem is that PreModeration plugin is just hiding the articles, so they are being emailed regardless to the articles being accepted or declined by the PreModeration addon. Would anyone happen to have these two addons running side by side? Or has anyone got any idea of how this can be fixed?

Thanks
  • Options
    @JamesFlack: I will look at adding support for it in the next version
  • Options
    Hi all,

Is there any way this can work with the pre-moderation addon? http://vanillaforums.org/addon/295/premoderation

The problem is that the Notifi addon will send notifications even if the post is NOT approved, which makes the pre-moderation mostly useless as a selection of people can see anything before it is posted.

Is there a simple solution to this?

Thanks,
    Tom.
  • Options
    Does this work w/ Vanilla 2?
  • Options
    @louismarascio: No. It never will, because Vanilla 2 is very different. It's possible someone will make another plugin with the same functionality for Vanilla 2, though.
  • Options
    I'm getting the error message

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/braylake/public_html/forum/extensions/Notifi/default.php on line 109

which looking at previous posts something to do with creating a table (or not) in the database. How do I go about making this change manually I am not a database wiz! so that the notifi will run on the forum.
    Thanks
    Helen
  • Options
    Ok, have taken the plunge and successfully managed to create table and add fields -hope I've done this correctly, but still have following message come up when I click on Account tab

Warning: array_key_exists() [function.array-key-exists]: The second argument should be either an array or an object in /home/braylake/public_html/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Class.Control.php on line 45

Suggestions?
    Helen
  • Options
    I'm using Vanilla Forum with Notifi 2.0.4 on a site hosted by GoDaddy. I wasn't able to get any emails, either from Notifi or for new member requests. I called GoDaddy support and the tech gave me suggestions for filling out the SMTP portion in Application Settings, which didn't work. He later emailed me saying to leave the SMTP settings blank. I tried that and now get emails for new member requests but not from Notifi.

The SMTP section of the Vanilla Application Settings says "Typically Vanilla will use the mail server that is set up on the server where Vanilla resides. If, for some reason, you want to use a separate SMTP mail server to send outgoing e-mails, you can configure it with these three options. If you do not want to use an SMTP server, leave these fields blank."

The other add-ons that I'm using are Issue Tracker, Bookmark Stickies, Comment Removal, and Forced Category. I wouldn't expect any of them to affect email.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Notifi to send emails without going through an SMTP server?