Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Your favourite part of Vanilla?

Comments

• Options
    mark: yeah, admittedly I was sort of disappointed when I saw you put that in, but I guess that's a job for those custom styles. :-P
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    print.css, rev1:

* {font-family: Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial;} ul#MenuForum, div.Session, div.Panel, div.PageDetails, a.PageJump, ol.PageList, div.CommentOptions, div.CommentForm, div.Links, div.AddCommentsTitle, a.PageNav, div.Discussions, div.Categories, div.Search, div.Account, div.SettingsPageBody { display:none; } div.Comment { padding:0.125in 0 0.25in; border-top:.01in solid black; } a:link, a:visited { color: #520; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } div.Title { padding-bottom:0.125in font-size:12pt; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:none; } div.CommentAuthor a, div.Logo, div.Logo * { font-size:12pt; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:none; } div.CommentTime, div.CommentTime em, div.Foot * { font-size:8pt; font-weight:bold; } div.CommentBody { padding-top:0.125in; font-size:10pt; } div.Copyright { border-top:.01in solid black; padding-top:0.125in } div.CommentBody a:link:after, div.CommentBody a:visited:after { content: " (" attr(href) ") "; font-size: 90%; }
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    Ack, curse you Code tag, and your blatant disrespect of whitespace!

EDIT: ...which itself is due to the lack of

code {white-space: pre;}
    in vanilla.css
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited December 2005
    Or you could just use the pre tag as well, which is exactly what it exists for.
  • Options
    No, because whitespace should be honored in all code tags, not just the ones wrapped in <pre>s
  • Options
    When I said that I meant within the HTML specification, not Vanilla. I don't know, just seems sort of silly to turn every single tag into something it's not with CSS when numerous times an entire tag exists for that specific reason.
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    That's a little backwards; the only reason the <pre> tag honors whitespace is because the major browsers put "white-space: pre;" in their default stylesheets. The idea is to remove intrinsic styling from elements entirely.
  • Options
    Yeah, you're right. I was thinking back to the days when CSS didn't really exist/wasn't nearly as flexible, and the layout was achieved through the actual HTML and not about a hundred divs and uls with half a meg of styling.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Bergamot, don't get them started with arguments about <code> tags <3 :D
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I added your css and uploaded to vanilladev. I took a look at it in firefox using the web developer's extension and it didn't really look right - all I could see was this:

Vanilla Dev The page was delivered in 0.6529 seconds

But I don't trust that extension.
  • Options
    what a timely thread. i was about to stop back by and say how much i really like vanilla... and this was here! i got stuck on a project at work that needs a fairly basic forum, and needs to run on SQLITE, so we've picked up punbb. punbb is a nice piece of work, and i really appreciate that it's written more procedurally than object-oriented (one i understand, the other destroys my brain!)... but vanilla is 100% better. my favorite part? the extensibility. i've been doing *minor* changes to the code, and today i realized what a nightmare it will be to update. what're the chances of abstracting vanilla enough to allow an installation to run on sqlite? =)
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    It actually shouldn't be that difficult. I've never used sqllite before, though, so my big questions are: 1. How similar is the sql syntax to that of mysql? 2. Does php have built in functions to handle database calls like it does for mysql?
  • Options
    sqlite itself is built-in to php. i've been out of rdbms coding for a while, so i'm far from authoritative on this, but the functions themselves look similar: http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.sqlite.php as far as the sql syntax itself, i was actually surprised to see that they maintain a couple of short lists of what it *doesn't* support: http://sqlite.org/omitted.html and http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=UnsupportedSql and isn't vanilla pretty abstracted just on principle? from what i looked at, there are only a handful of classes that call the database.
  • Options
    In regards to the print CSS, that's great that you completed the work that quickly. That's some fast work Bergamot. Good stuff! Cheers! cb.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited December 2005
    Thanks, jsanders. It looks like supporting sqllite would be pretty easy. I might download and install it tomorrow and give it a go. I'm curious to see how much faster (if any) it is than mysql anyway.
  • Options
    What I love: 1. Vanilla is crisp and clean, no wasted space or sloppy markup. 2. The few things that I would change (so far) can be done easily in CSS. Print preview in Firefox and IE both work well to view the printed style. *Checks vanilladev* Very good job Bergamot.
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    Actually, I made that with a page I saved from 0.9.2, so certain parts don't line up really well when it's used on vanilladev. I'll have to make some modifications. Also, right now it *only* prints discussions.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I've spent all afternoon working on getting sqlite working with php. What a pain in the ass! Everywhere I read, it says that you should definitely be using sqlite3, but there is almost no support for it in php (definitely none before php5), and it just doesn't seem to work at all. I keep getting all kinds of random system errors because of it - it's making all of my php extensions fail (even mysql and gd2). It's totally buggerred. I'm not quite sure how to proceed.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    screw sqlite for perhaps a better supported DB ?
  • Options
    i honestly can't comment on what the differences between sqlite 2.8 and 3, but have you seen xampp? http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html i don't know what your setup is like at the moment, so it might not really be worth it, but at least it would give you a basic dev environment with sqlite working. well... sqlite 2.8, at least.
This discussion has been closed.