Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

URGENT HELP NEEDED: All Discussions Page Empty

13»

Comments

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

When I open .sql file in notepad, I can see the commen ts and everything. What could be the problem?

Is the discussion table in there? Look at the date when the table was exported. What is the name of the hosting company? Maybe they didn't make a backup and simply exported your current broken database to a sql file to make it seem like they did.

Did they charge you for this?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

Do you have phpmyadmin? If not get it. Then you can go to select import within phpmyadmin and specify the file
    whateverthenameis.sql as the file to import.

make it a copy of the file they gave you and store it on your local computer for safekeeping.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

If you can respond every couple of minutes I will hang on and I will try to help walk you through the import process it if you have questions. But you need to let know if you want to do that, otherwise I've got other things to do.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Ok @peregrine
    I just managed to get it back. Thanks a lot for going out of your way to help me :)
    Yes. I did it by importing through phpmyadmin. Luckily the my DB size was jsut under 50 MB. I dont know what shall I do once it crosses that. But anyway. Relieved finally.
    Thanks all. Its a great community :)

• good your back. Now practice exporting your database and making backups frequently to save yourself woes in the future.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

the other thing you can do in addition to backups is look at the synchronize function in phpmyadmin.

create a database called vanduplicate and give yourself the appropriate permissions.

this database will be your target.

and the original functional database is your source.

with vanduplicate as the target.

(never get your source and target confused or you will be hurting again).

and then you can synchronize and it will automatically create the table structure and add the data.

• always with vanduplicate as the target.

In that way you will have an exact duplicate of the vanilla database and can restore from that one if your original ever becomes corrupted.

• @indianfootynet

Although some may disagree - now is the perfect time to install vanilla 2.1 in another directory as a test. just remember to use a different database this time.

If you have any mishaps and mung up vanilla 2.0 you have functional backups that your host gave you.

But if you pay attention to where you are installing and use different directories and a different database you can have what you originally set out to do.