Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Changing the colors of the theme i am using

edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,
I am content with the theme I am using for my forum except would like to change the colors. Can someone help me with this please?

Thanks much

Tagged:

Comments

• Is this spam?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• No, it is not me :D

• is what spam?

• 422422 Developer MVP

What do you need help with?

Your question is vague

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

mysticscooby said:
    Hi,
    I am content with the theme I am using for my forum except would like to change the colors. Can someone help me with this please? >
    Thanks much>

mysticscooby said:
    is what spam? >

Is your message spam! we are not all mystics - we are not clairvoyant enough to determine it you know what css is? or if you don't know what custom.css is? or if you done any reading of documentation on creating a theme, which will in effect show you how to modify a theme? or if you done any searches on the forum on modifying themes?
    That is why I wondered if it was spam.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ok... i have no idea what you are talking about... i was just hoping someone could tell me how to change the colors. i use this site to build my forum, connected to it through bluehost... have it up and running but would like to change the colors to match my store... black and purple... i am not a programmer or designer and do not know what css is. sorry. i figured someone would be able to help me.

i did do searches but did not find an answer to my question, at least not one that i understood. if you can guide me to one, that would be appreciated. I did not download software though... using the website at http://www.lifesmysticaljourney.com/forums/dashboard/settings, your online dashboard... not sure how to get into code or anything from there.

• sorry. Let these be your guides. and click on the button at the top that says documentation and look for themes.

www.csstutorial.net/

www.w3schools.com/css/

and reading the theme documentation.

short of that I'm sure @422 and others would be glad to sell you a premium theme that might better match what you want.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited July 2012

@mysticscooby

If you are an absolute css beginner, download and install this theme I made:

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/annotated_css-theme

It's not designed to be used in production, it is designed to show new users the common css elements that they might want to change.

The rules in the custom.css file are all annotated to help you get what they do.

Find the rules that change what you want and make your changes.

Delete any rules that you don't need to use.

You can then either use that theme, or go on to create your own with a better understanding of what is involved.

If you've never used css before you should really do some background reading like Pregrine suggested.

• ok. next question... how do i get something downloaded up onto the forum. i did not download anything to create my forum... i am just using the dashboard online... sorry to be a pain. i know a lot... built my store and such. but self taught and new to this forum thing, lol...

edited July 2012

@mysticcooby

You need to use something like FTP.

Personally, I'd recommend Filezilla if you have Windows on you computer, but you may find an Ftp client in your cPanel that might be simpler (but slower...)

Its OK to ask questions; I was in more or less your position a year and a half ago.

It helps if you do a search on here first, mind, as lots of your questions will already have been asked and answered.

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2012

If you want to upload files (such as plugins or themes) to your forum installation, you'll need to use an FTP client such as FileZilla. Here's a tut: http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Using

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• I did a search but much of what I found I did not understand. I appreciate your help with this as I learn as I go... :-)

edited July 2012

@mysticscooby

The majority of the changes you will want to make to your Vanilla forum will invovle altering the css rules, so an understanding of the principle is very useful.

Whilst not ideal, and at times plain wrong, this is still a reasonable place to start for a total newbie: http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp

The main benefit, imo, is the 'Try it yourself' section, which allows you to see how changes impact a page.

• ok. i am trying... i do not understand.. is there anyway i can just download the forum, my forum that i already have set up into my copy of dreamweaver, make the changes i want, and then put it back, lol... the changes i want to make are not hard (i would not guess)...i just want to change the colors... back background.. purple trim, white print... :-)

• i am guessing it will stay like it is for now... lol

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

mysticscooby said:
    i am guessing it will stay like it is for now... lol

sound like a good idea till you read all the tutorials and documentation.

@whu606 - you win the "patience of a saint badge today". >

• lol... i do huh? lol... i thought I was being pretty impatient, lol...

Still think it is a stroll in the woods, lol.... i know how to go into and change colors and such in an html things... but as i do not have this in my dream weaver, i do not understand, lol.. what happens if i figure out how to change the code in this downloaded template? when i upload it am i going to loose all of the stuff i have put into the forum? would you like to see the forum?

http://www.lifesmysticaljourney.com/forums/

• ok... maybe you can help me this way.. there is a template that i found which could work and need almost nothing... only a symbol changed... if I download this and then upload it using filezilla... will it make all of the posts and stuff i moved go away? the work i have already done in the forum?

this is the template... http://vanillaforums.org/addon/darkmist-theme

the only thing i would like to change is the symbol swirly thing.. to the attached file...

• this forum is meant to go with my shop...

www.lifesmysticajourney.com

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited July 2012

I see a dark figure running towards me, a halo behind him..i sense danger and long for the answer.

Oops no its a jogger being chased by a moped.

There was an error rendering this rich post.