Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Hooking in with plugins

2»

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2013

@businessdad said:
    Vanilla is one of the few frameworks where I found "convention over declaration" done right. I work with other frameworks and some pride themselves to follow "declaration over convention", i.e. they require an XML file for every single change you make, another XML file to describe the first one, another to group the other two and, if one little thing is out of place, everything just gets ignored. No errors, no logs. I wonder how can anyone be pride of such an abortion, I would be ashamed...

I agree, with the exception of a more explicit form of routing, which we discussed and agree on. Overall I think Garden's pros outweigh it's cons.

I think convention over configuration is good, however it does depend on what the convention enforces.

In security convention could enforce a closed shop, which is good, however there could be too many unknowns, and specifics not to have an explicit setup, depending on the scenario.

Convention over configuration is an ideal, which in reality is applied so that in situation where explicit declarations are favourable, you bend the rule.

Oh and XML is an abomination, full stop. it is actually a good example of declaration over convention, as in order to get this holly grail of 'extensibility' you have all sorts of explicit declarations. Of course the 'extensibility' is complete red herring becuase it is rarely is a universal schema applied, it is easier to apply a schema to JSON, in fact.

What a complete wast of the last 10-15 years. Html5 is at least 5 year late because of the obsession with all things XML. If people hadn't taken matters into their own hands, w3c would still be obsessed with it.

grep is your friend.