Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product

Ready to contribute?

Amazing! Sign our contributors' agreement and then join us on GitHub.

Forum Post 'Ettikett' - Etiquette !

422422 Developer MVP
edited September 2013 in Tutorials

I am sure I posted this a while back, but anyhoo here goes.

1. post a descriptive title. Not just xyz - does not work
  2. post as much information relating to the issue, and demonstrate the issue you are encountering.
  3. add additional information, such as the vanilla version you are running.

To expand. Titles.

Try and use the title as the neon sign to grab attention, not the opportunity to be as brief a possible. Example:

1. Bad: header wrong
  2. Good: Help needed with positioning header banner on "sunshine" theme

3. Bad: forum doesnt work

4. Good: Bonk after I installed "kiss me quick" plugin

To expand. Description.

Express the exact issue you have. Example.

1. Bad: Installed "sunshine" theme and its broken.
  2. Good: I am running 2.0.18.4 vanilla forum, I installed "sunshine" theme and I am having alignment issues, please see screenshot below. Here is a link to the site etc etc, any help appreciated.

Common Courtesy.

Use please and thankyou. Be helpful with questions asked by repliers to your threads and posts. Click like, awesome whatever to show additional gratitude.

Expectations of you and repliers.

1. dont ask a question then disappear without a trace.
  2. if you ask a question, check back regularly to see replies.
  3. be prepared to get your hands dirty, and show some code and or give additional information.

Above all be patient, theres no wrong way to ask a question. But seemingly theres a billion ways of not answering it correctly, you can mitigate and minimise those proportions, for everyone.

By being detailed in your requests, problems or issues.

Oh and ...

If you fix something you asked about, be a good boy or girl, and post HOW you did it, so that others venturing onto your thread, can see how you achieved it.

Lastly, 99.99999999% of members posting on the forums, do so for free, and get NO recompense from Vanilla Inc. So be aware that helping ppl is a community initiative, that we all enjoy and support ... including you ;)

have fun, apologies for any spieling messtikes as I am on a bloody iPad.

422 Real Estate Australia , now open Check it out

UnderDogShadowdarebusinessdad50sQuiff

Comments