Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla Spring 2013 Release - Anything features for the Open Source version?

2»

Comments

• Options
    aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Not only Discourse.org but other competitors will soon eat Vanilla's pie if things continue the same way. To name a few -

· Xenforo (really popular kid around the block)

· Discourse (fresh skilled graduate)

· BBpress (with mother WP's affection and care)

· Facebook groups

· Google Plus Communities

I remember Mark mentioning Vanilla as Wordpress for Forums. Well they actively promote .org and then started milking on .com. WP's VIP service has made atleast $20 million last year. Now they are actively developing BBPress in Open Source environment and its future looks brilliant.

If we need to be WordPress for Forums, then better follow their model correctly.

@phreak @hgtonight

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited June 2013

@UnderDog: Sorry, i haven't seen your comment first but you pic actually pretty much up of what i think of. I know the opinions of some (not all) of the supporters that are known to be a substantial time on board. Everyone's willing but everyone's pissed by this policy. @peregrine made a great plugin the community has been waiting for loooong. so everyone was on board. This moment of "wow" is shared by a lot of communities that do not have the core group act so restrictive. Having that moment once or twice year won't do any good.

By the way @businessdad made a great Awards and Badges plugin thats great and very flexible. He also planned this as one part of a whole reputation suite, which plans seem to be canceled. But in this sourrounding, where people are afraid of how the core will open or shut down or continue developing, or furtherly opress the crowd here in its subtle way, not much see a future in paying a little more for a great plugins. For god' sake, i would say that a lot of forum owners who run Vanilla OS feel unsafe. So they strife away instead of help to build and support it, from where the hosted solution could profite also. But the business managers on top can't see that, they probably have no clue about OS, but are happy that their Vanilla Dev's are using other free software like Aptana. I guess they just understand it.

@Tim, @Todd and @Lincoln: Please do not be so childish to "sink" this thread. That's just so "you say something different so we don't let you play in our sandbox". I really beg on my bloody knees that you act on this a little more mature. Please, it is still a discussion board for OS and it is an interest. Where else should we talk about it. On the Wikipedia entry of Vanilla? CMS Wiki information sites?

@aery: Also thank you for this point. We spoke about this before so leave it to others to pick those points up.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited June 2013

@phreak said:
    That's just so "you say something different so we don't let you play in our sandbox".

Or more accurately "I'm not having this conversation for the 50th time" or "Is it this time of the month already?"

@phreak said:
    I really beg on my bloody knees that you act on this a little more mature.

Ditto that, bub.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited June 2013

@Lincoln: You disqualified yourself again. Not even capable of responding in any way properly.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

I sank the thread and if I didn't I would. If users want to give their opinion, just let them go to the link in your signature. I wouldn't sink it because of what you said about playing in the sandbox, I would sink it because you keep voicing the same thing in new comments to 'bump' your own threada. Personally, what you say about 'corporate' is ridiculous. Think of things to make this community a better place. Think of how we can test plugins (and themes!) For 2.1 or 2.2, think of how we can improve the Wiki, etc. Etc

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.