Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How Do You Get Your First Few and Important Members

aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Title explains it all.

What methods do you employ?

What strategies do you have?

What if forum is not getting new members?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Promising the first 10 people an ipad ?

Offering to win a trip to the Virgin Islands to the person who brings in 100 people ?

Free karma for the first 100?

Internet/Phone cards for high-speed access ?

I think much has to do with what the forum is about and what people will or think they will get out of it. Forums that are for self help and tech advice are very popular and seldom need to be advertised. Even if you give away cars , you can't keep members if the topics or the interest are not there.

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    Promising the first 10 people an ipad ?

when you start up a new forum - let me know. :). so i can be the 7th member.

Offering to win a trip to the Virgin Islands to the person who brings in 100 people ?

I could get you a 100 people (or not humans)

Free karma for the first 100?

that always helps in the next life.

Internet/Phone cards for high-speed access ?

count me in.

I think much has to do with what the forum is about and what people will or think they will get out of it. Forums that are for self help and tech advice are very popular and seldom need to be advertised. Even if you give away cars , you can't keep members if the topics or the interest are not there.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

So , I guess those are good ways to attract members then :)

• Options

No money honey. I don't earn.

• Options

@aery said:
    No money honey. I don't earn.

What I can't understand, how can you afford to have a forum. doesn't cost for server hosting???

that's why i don't have a forum, I can't afford to have one.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@peregrine said:
    What I can't understand, how can you afford to have a forum. doesn't cost for server hosting???
    that's why i don't have a forum, I can't afford to have one.

That's actually a good point. Hosting is the just one of the costs to run a site. Maintenance, backups, customisations and, in case of forums, monitoring (i.e. moderation & co) are also important costs. If anybody knows how to run a site for free, I'd be happy to listen. :)

• Options

@peregrine @businessdad

Hosting costs are just $7/month.

Its a small amount I am paying for my interest. Considering it in exchange of gym memberships, smokes, beer, club fees and extravagant coffee flavors.

• Options

how much is a high speed internet connection where you live?, if I may ask.

• Options

Its free.

My University pays for it. City rates are $10/month for unlimited downloading 2Mbps plan. Rurals $3/month for 512/256 kbps

• Options

Its free.

My University pays for it. City rates are $10/month for unlimited downloading 2Mbps plan. Rurals $3/month for 512/256 kbps

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

don't rub it in :).

edited.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Nobody asked me to make. That thread got lost in conversation.

BTW, how much do you pay?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

edited didn't pertain to thread. I'll start a new one maybe.

• Options

No he is asking how much you pay in internet fees lol ...I think

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

duh? thx. V. I got lost myself.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

:: Make a pixelperfect forum with great design and do a research of 10 possible cooperation partners in the social media field (facebook) with more than 40.000 fans. Ask them to promote your board with one or two postings, pay them a little, so they are willing. Depending on interest you should get some registrations... and now keep 'em happy, with upgrades, add-ons, lottery, good discussions and moderation, frequent ideas and threads, make a social network site to the forum, programm it like a pro (with decent own content), make great graphics for every social media posting, enhance your community with playful ideas and competitions out on the street easily accomplished with a smart phone or similar... and for gods sake, plan the shit 3 months in advance or you get drowned, the first 6 months are a killer with 4-8 hours of your daily live pushing and learning :: ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

and for gods sake, plan the shit 3 months in advance or you get drowned

I'm not sure but in Uzbekistan it's sponsored by the Bedouins and the going rate is 3 liters of camel milk for every 2g download. If you can't pay they move the satellite antenna to the next town :( hard to plan that far ahead no?

feacesbook is on it's last legs and it proved useless to make people go outside of feacebook to join a forum.

Use other outlets fgs!

• Options

@phreak Thanks. Is it one man thing?

@all Do you have a staff or are you single-man-army handling the forum?

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@vrijvlinder: What i wrote is a very harsh description. But if you point everything right in this configuration and depending on the subject and a good presentation + Facebook Login, i received around 50-200 registrations per this like action. 20-50 People will come the next days to, but here you need to have something prepared to keep them returning. This idea is more like a good prepared speed race. After a round like this you need continuous actions.

@aery: Sorry friend, i do not really get what you mean by "One man thing?"

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

I mean that preparing content, design, moderation and other activities are handled by single man or do you have to employ staff?

How grueling is it for a single person?