Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Membership Database Linked to Member List?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2013

I'd love to!

Any likelihood the upgrade might break things or result in an extended down time?

If not I can do it later today.

Latest Stable Download: Version 2.0.18.8

Where do I find 2.1 and are there any gotcha's to the upgrade process, please?

• Options

See the announcement. there are gotchas. make a duplicate. Instructions are scattered through the forum.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

Yes. You could have extended downtime - if you don't install it correctly and you didn't backup your database. If you backup database and pay attention to what you are doing, even if you destroy your 2.0.18.8 installation. You can recover provided you saved all the files in your vanilla 2.0.18.8 and can restore them and you can restore the database.

I don't know if upgrade works in 2.1 - absolutely no one has ever stated that they have automatically updated from 2.0.18. Most people upgraded manually moving tables. If you can find someone who did /utility/update from 2.0.18.x to 2.1 or greater - more power to you.

You will need to learn alot. that means reading more, studying more vanilla, and asking questions after you spend a few days reading up on it by searching the forum. But you will be better off in the long run, if you spend the time which you said you have.

I suggest you make a duplicate forum and experiment with 2.1. If and when you are satisfied with new feature and it works for you then you can attempt migration.

and back up your old database and source before you install 2.1 and intend to fool around. several people have not heeded that warning and have paid their host to restore things.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21303/how-to-duplicate-your-forum-or-move-it-to-another-directory

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21428/destroyed-a-completely-functional-installation-trying-to-upgrade-to-2-0-18-4

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20866/urgent-help-needed-all-discussions-page-empty

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I would follow peregrine's advice if I were you. Set up a Vanilla installation on your local computer (localhost). Install the exact backup (plugins & themes) of your forum on that computer.

Now make a copy of Vanilla in a new database to 'mess around with'

The thing with our forum is simple : a user can either ask 'how do I install Vanilla on my local computer?' Or he can ask : 'I googled for how do I install Vanilla on my local computer and couldn't find it'

If you can see the difference between those 2 and make the right choice, there is no problem in asking millions of questions.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

I visited the links, they go back to 2010, contain lots of errors and rabbit-trails, and are as confusing as they are helpful. But I reviewed them just the same.

I'm going to use vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-upgrade as my overview-template for the upgrade process because it is concise/simple.

Note 1: We own both oachegroup.org and oachegroup.com

The current Version 2.0.18.8 install is on oachegroup.org and I planned to point oachegroup.com at it.

I could create a whole new Version 2.0.18.8 install via MojoMarketplace on Bluehost vanillaforums.org/docs/installation#step1 using oachegroup.com, complete the rest of the new install Steps, overwrite that with 2.1, then experiment with it there.

Once satisfied I could wipe the oachegroup.org install and point it to the fully-functioning 2.1 install at oachegroup.com

Would that be a way to be sure the existing Forum remains intact while the updated version is established?

(I would have to copy or re-enter the members list - I'm guessing it's a file somewhere I can copy or that it may be imported.)

(On the next upgrade I could un-point oachegroup.org and reverse the process.)

Upgrade your Vanilla Forum

Upgrading is a one-way process. There is no way to downgrade. so it's a good idea to make a test upgrade on a backup, before proceeding with the real upgrade.
    1. Create a Backup

Back up your database
    Back up your uploads/ folder
    Back up your conf/config.php

I copied everything inside my Bluehost.com hosted public_html/oachegroup/ ... a gazillion files and folders (including .htaccess, uploads/, conf/config.php) to my laptop and then also to an external USB drive.

Q: Is there anything, apart from all of that, which I might have missed?

Note 2: If my suggested - different domain - method (see above) seems OK I still want to be doubly-certain I don't break the working install,and if I do I can just copy back anything I mistakenly damage.

1. Update your files

Upload your new version of Vanilla 2
      Delete all the .ini files in your cache/ folder
      Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database: www.yourforum.com/utility/update (or www.yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update)

I see nothing anywhere about /utility/update/ in the current installation - is created via the 2.1 (or any other update/upgrade) upload?

How Vanilla URLs work

This was very old (most recent post 2 years ago), a wandering thread without conclusion; somewhat confusing.

1. Test

If you can't log in to your forum after upgrading, clear your cookies and restart your browser.

So, what do you think, please?

Am I misunderstanding or over-complicating things this way?

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2013

Q: Is there anything, apart from all of that, which I might have missed?

Back up your database

You go to myphpadmin and click manage backups then select the database and back it up .

You can install in a subfolder of the same domain. oache.org/forum

(I would have to copy or re-enter the members list - I'm guessing it's a file somewhere I can copy or that it may be imported.)

That is in your database.

• Options

Bluehost uses the label phpmyadmin and offers Export - do I take that to mean the same thing as Backup?

• Options
    edited July 2013

I found this
    https://siteground.com/tutorials/php-mysql/mysql_export.htm
    Export appears to be what I need.
    The default is:
    "Save on server in the directory /home/nevilsst/tmp/" but I will also copy to my external USB drive just in case.

• Options

OK.

Dump has been saved to file /home/nevilsst/tmp/localhost.sql.

I presume that is what I needed to accomplish?

• Options

look at it.

as you are aware tmp is cleaned up by most systems on a periodic basis.

• Options

Bluehost uses the label phpmyadmin and offers Export and offers Export -

standard phpmyadmin export is a backup if you choose to backup entire database.

as far as Bluehost special uniqueness I know not.

• Options

I have it copied to my laptop and to the external USB drive.

It contains all of the databases, Vanilla and some little-used blogs.

• Options

So, I would recommend you install vanilla 2.2 with a fresh new database name and play with it for a week or two (testforumA)
    if you like it and all of the plugins you need are there. then. You have a backup in case your installation messes up your live forum of 2.0.18.x

then if you are happy.
    I would backup live database

I would install a new separate test forumB with version 2.0.18.8 with new database name
    then import database you got from live.
    then overwrite source to 2.2 in the new test forumB
    then run utility update to see if it works. play with it for a week if it works.

then do the real thing.

• Options

See Peregrine's advice. It's the exact advice for all beginning users.

Remember : if you question a 'howto' google first please unless it's really really specific to Vanilla.

You can also use google on the Vanilla site.

'"How do I backup my forum" site:vanillaforums.org/discussions/'

When you add that little piece ~~~site:vanillaforums.org/discussions/

Google will only return results from that site

• Options

I have printed peregrine's post as I'm in the midst of trying to get our son enrolled in college, our daughter transferring HS's, and just changed versions of Linux on two laptops (including this one), plus life's usual daily adventures.

I really appreciate the help and patience and apologize for seeming often-obtuse.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

1) back up database (you said you did).

2) then use this to install 2.2 on you linux laptop. It couldn't get any easier - assuming you have nginx or apache and curl and php and mysql installed.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/187377#Comment_187377

• Options

@DavidColburn said:
    I really appreciate the help and patience and apologize for seeming often-obtuse.

As long as you show you're trying, it's ok. Besides : all these advices are good information for on the Vanilla Wiki. There's just someone that might ask you to add it there

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

too bad its all in a thread that has a title with nothing to do with first time install and we'll have to repeat the same thing for the next user.

@minion get sisyphus

@heracles split and merge

and bring some twinings with some lemon too! and one for underdog and lincoln while you're at it.

• Options

I solved the displaced-thread content problem.
    See this new thread:

Install vanilla 2.2 with a fresh new database name

• Options

@peregrine said:
    too bad its all in a thread that has a title with nothing to do with first time install

heracles split and merge

I'm on a mobile device, can't split

Title change is Topic Report (PM to me)