HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Introducing [VanillaStarter] - Quickstart plugin development

lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Feedback

Just run from you terminal

source <(curl -sL https://raw.github.com/lifeisfoo/VanillaStarter/script/start.sh)

and a plugin directory will be created with a skeleton code (ported from vanilla skeleton plugin and customized).
The script will also ask you for the plugin name and rename everything according to it.

Since I develop many plugins, it's very annoying starting every time from scratch or copying the skeleton plugin and rename everything.

I'm working to add more useful and time saving features to the plugin code...any help is welcome. You can find the repository on github and see (or add) features (request) from the issues page.

Another, more advanced, starter kit is Gdn_PScaffold from x00

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

cool ! so this basically helps create the plugin basics ? sounds good I will try it , I also hate starting from scratch with the same stuff over and over, good to know I am not alone ;) Although doing it many times helped me memorize it so now it goes a bit faster lol but this sounds like a good time saver :)

• Options

Nice :)

I will be making changes, to Gdn_PScaffold to decouple the working classes from the chain, and just have containers in the chain. This way it would be more flexible, to use whatever design pattern, without being to tied to hierarchy of the chain.

It will also make it much easier to understand what comes from where, as it effectively be namespaced through its own property.

ATM I don't really like the way it is, just need to make some time to do that.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    cool ! so this basically helps create the plugin basics ? sounds good I will try it , I also hate starting from scratch with the same stuff over and over, good to know I am not alone ;) Although doing it many times helped me memorize it so now it goes a bit faster lol but this sounds like a good time saver :)

Yes, but I want to add some extra features like useful code snips or convention (when possible) for common operations (create a table, add config values, auto url mappings for controller's methods, etc).

Obviously you need a unix shell to run this (on windows try installing http://www.cygwin.com/ before).

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2013

looks great.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Nice!

The comments alone are excellent for kickstarting development on Vanilla plugins!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

This makes me sad I don't write plugins often enough to need it right now.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited August 2013

@Lincoln said:
    This makes me sad I don't write plugins often enough to need it right now.

This very sad indeed :(((((

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@lifeisfoo said:
    Just run from you terminal

source <(curl -sL https://raw.github.com/lifeisfoo/VanillaStarter/script/start.sh)

and a plugin directory will be created with a skeleton code (ported from vanilla skeleton plugin and customized).

It's quite interesting, I wrote a very similar script in April (it does practically the same thing), but I thought it would not have been of much use and it's now in a "drawer". Clearly, I'm not alone in the Vanilla universe. :)