Poll - Which Registration Method and plugins do you use to deter spammers and their efficacy.
Everyone complains about spam, but only a few list the details, instead of carping, take part in a poll to provide some useful info.
Perhaps if this discussion doesn't get derailed by philosophy and cartoons - some valuable info might be garnered.
There are several registration methods and several deterrents that work with some effectiveness.
maybe a poll that "You" actually participate in with registration methods, plugins used, and effectiveness - might help all of you. (newbies, silent ones, and experienced forum owners encouraged to respond)
A If you have relatively effective spam control.
- 1 which registration method do you use (approval, confirm e-mail, etc.)?
- 2 which plugins do you use to deter spammers ?
B If you are flooded with spammers
- 1 where does it occur (registration, activity wall, discussions and comments)?
- 2 is the spam mostly links with websites?
- 3 is it mostly the same pattern of spam?
- 4 Is it mostly from certain ip addresses?
I don't have a forum, but to me I think a combined use of randomized botstop plugin method and http://vanillaforums.org/addon/registrationrestrictlogger-plugin seems like the easiest for users and forum owners.
This is not a plug for my plugins, because unless you donate it doesn't help me anyway. But the answers to the above questions might help all of you.
no or few responses indicates it is not of concern to you.
I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.