HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Poll - Which Registration Method and plugins do you use to deter spammers and their efficacy.

13»

Comments

• Options

Yes, that's it. Restricted Registration plugin.

• Options

well hello;
    Reading all of you story and let me say i feel you;
    I have your problem in addition to this: I use cloudflare for my dns resolver and I think this is part of my problem. the part that I can't do anything about with my current situation.
    As I write; it is about 5 hours that I got vanilla from here and installed it on my server. and now i have 5 new users with ugly emails. the beautiful or rather scary part is that my vanilla isn't in the production phase yet!
    I was reading http://blog.vanillaforums.com/news/9-ways-to-eliminate-spam-in-your-community-forum/ and i got the impression that vanilla can offer features like what "stackexchange" does.
    I want to know how I can achieve:
    a) set links to ‘nofollow’; and what would be the downside of that?
    b) by default vanilla uses recaptcha and the spammers that I do battle with ;go through it like a piece of cake. Any more sophisticated captcha?
    c)Don’t allow editing of comments after a few minutes have passed HOW?
    d) In Vanilla, it’s possible to prevent members with a low Rank from posting links, editing comments, etc HOW?
    Thanks

• Options

Also:
    using Akismet.net free api key is useful or it doesn't do anything much until I buy one?
    is there a plugin for static question while signup. that i define one or more static questions with their answers and it shows one of them randomly for each signup?

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

a) Vanilla does this by default

b) Recaptcha is an evolving piece of software, so it gets better as time goes on

c) This is also a default setting in Vanilla

d) As far as I know, the only Rank plugin available on the OS version is Yaga. Yaga is in beta and requires the 2.1 beta to run, so I can't recommend using it on a production server.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/registrationrestrictlogger-plugin took care of my problems, no tweaking required.

Thank you again for this wonderful plugin.