HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to cripple commenting ability in one easy step? add a vanilla.png file in your forum root

I was trying to post a comment on my local host for testing purposes and kept on getting error message

error
The requested URL /vanilla/vanilla.png/post/comment/916 was not found on this server.

as it turned out I had just put a png file called "vanilla.png" in the /vanilla directory (where my forum is located).

it was interesting trying to debug :).

when I deleted the /vanilla/vanilla.png - the problem went away.
when i placed the file back in - the problem came back.

just something to keep in mind :).

adding a new discussion wasn't hampered.

tested in vanilla 2.0.18.8

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Now that is some bizarre behavior. Does it happen in 2.1?

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I was unable to reproduce this on a local Xampp stack in 2.0.18.8.

Weird indeed.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@Lincoln said:

Now that is some bizarre behavior. Does it happen in 2.1?

in vanilla 2.1 - problem doesn't occur....

I renamed the vanilla21 folder to vanilla. changed the .htaccess for rewrite base /vanilla
    no problem. So it would mimic the way I had the problem with other vanilla version.

further tests in vanilla 2.0.18.8

in vanilla 2.0.18.8 ubuntu and apache.

changed vanilla folder as a test to z-vanilla changed .htaccess to rewrite base /z-vanilla
    put it vanilla.jpg in /z-vanilla/vanilla.jpg

also changed folder to /forum and changed .htaccess accordingly. same problem

error occurred. when posting a comment.
    removed vanilla.jpg posted fine

tried it with vanilla.ico, vanilla.gif, vanilla.png, and vanilla.zip - and error occurred if one of those files was in the /z-vanilla.

so in 2.0.18.8 - no matter what the folder name (with matching rewrite base), if a file with vanilla.extension occurred, i would have the problem, no plugins enabled, default theme.

perhaps only occurs on a localhost, or my server specific. but I can replicate problem just by putting a vanilla file in the folder on my server.

probably - nothing to worry about. but if someone sees the problem - they know what to do.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

it seem to to me a very edge case, like you said something to do with your setup.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 said:
    it seem to to me a very edge case, like you said something to do with your setup.

true, this is an edge case.

I just want to correct my answer above.

I just ran into the same problem today playing with vanilla 2.1

The requested URL /vanilla4/vanilla.png/post/comment/ was not found on this server.

• Options

Though it may be an edge case, it's good to know about.

Thank you for posting it.