Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Solved] Recently installed Vanilla gives Page Not Found

tsouzartsouzar New
edited October 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello. Fist I need to say that I'm searching for a long time for a soluction and found nothing.

I've installed Vanilla 2.0.18-8 at localhost with Apache 2.2, PHP 5.5 and MySQL 5.5. After installation finishes I'm redirected to dashboard. The problem is: Vanilla is giving me 'Page Not Found' message when I try to access forum homepage. It's installed at Apache root dir. I didn't make any change in settings.

What would be causing this? How can I fix this problem?
Thanks for attention. Bye.

Sorry if my English skills destroys your eyes. :/

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Does localhost/discussions also return a page not found error?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

PHP 5.5

don't know

also make sure rewrite base in .htaccess points to you forum directory.
    clear the ini files in your /cache

or try re-stalling anew.

don't know if this would cause a problem. never used it. try php 5.3 or php 5.4

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    tsouzartsouzar New
    edited October 2013

Thanks both hgtonigh and peregrine for answer.

hgtonigh: yes, it returns page not found error.

peregrine: forum is in root directory, so there is no need to change RewriteBase. Removing .ini files from /cache don't solve the problem. I already reinstalled Vanilla for +/- 10 times. I can't use other PHP version here, but I guess this isn't the problem, since PHP community hasn't announced non backward compatible changes related to the problem.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

try changing rewriteurls from TRUE to FALSE or vice versa in config.php

what pages can you get to.

and do you have the correct permissions on your file folders.

do you have any plugins enabled.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

try installing forum in a folder not the root, see if you can get it working that way.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    tsouzartsouzar New
    edited October 2013

Changing RewriteUrls doesn't solve.
    I have no plugins, it's a pure install.
    Installing forum in "forum" folder into Apache's document root doesn't solve. Including I changed RewriteBase to /forum, but still giving Page Not Found error.

And which should be the permissions? I just extracted vanilla-core.zip into Apache's root or "forum" directory and set 777 to cache, uploads and conf directories...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

the owner of the php process that executes has to have read permissions.

at least all other folders should probably start with 75

good luck.

• Options

PHP process owner is root, right? Well, I tried to change directory permissions to 750, 755 and 777, as well as change owner to http user and group, which is Apache's user. Nothing has solved the problem :(

• Options

Does localhost/index.php?p=discussions work?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

Wait a second! Don't think so low level stuff. Try installing phpBB or something else and see if this works. If it doesn't, you might have to reinstall the whole server

• Options

Not works, Shadowdare.

ilovetech, I installed phpBB3 and with it all worked fine.

I also downloaded again Vanilla and reinstalled from new zip file, but the problem persists.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

a few things to try or do...

• post you .htaccess and the exact url links you have and
    • the exact config statement you have with reference to rewrite urls.
    • and your operating system
    • and just for grins try php5.3 -
    • if its your localhost you can run any php version you want.

• Check you apache settings.

• look in your routing in the dashboard

• and post some screenshots and look with firebug where it is trying to go. and check your apache access logs.

• and login as root administrator in vanilla when you try things.

• what is your server Operating system.

• try nginx instead of apache. (its fairly easy to install and you can change the web server demon to nginx.

• Options
    tsouzartsouzar New
    edited October 2013
    • My .htaccess is the one which Vanilla gives, without changes:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine On RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L] </IfModule>
    I removed comments because they were crashing Markdown code decoration.

• My config.php:

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit(); // Database $Configuration['Database']['Name'] = 'vanilla'; $Configuration['Database']['Host'] = 'localhost'; $Configuration['Database']['User'] = 'root'; $Configuration['Database']['Password'] = '*********'; // Garden $Configuration['Garden']['Title'] = 'Vanilla 2'; $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Salt'] = '***********'; $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Domain'] = ''; $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail'] = TRUE; $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SupportName'] = 'Vanilla 2'; $Configuration['Garden']['Installed'] = TRUE; // Last edited by tsouzar (127.0.0.1)2013-10-03 17:24:48

• I use Arch Linux x86.

• I can't use other PHP versions since Arch Linux is a rolling release dist, which maintain in repositories only last PHP version. AUR also hasn't other versions packages. phpenv + php-build is impossible since my connection (300Kbp/s wireless plan - Internet at Brazil is terrible), for download source, and my PC (single-core 1.8Ghz, 2GB RAM), for compile it, are a shit.

• My Apache settings are correct. The only change I made since Apache installation is enable .htaccess files. Moreover, only Vanilla is causing problems here, what shows they are due anything with it.

• Routing wasn't changed since installation. DefaultRoute and DefaultForumRoot are set for internal, discussions.

• I'm already logged in since Vanilla was installed. If I logout, there is no way no login again, dashboard also gives Page Not Found after logout.

• I use Pagodabox. I don't know what OS they use but I guess is some Linux distribuition.

• Nginx also gives Error 404, the only difference is that it uses it's own error page, not the Vanilla's one. Apache, PHP built-in server and Nginx logs, as well as Chromium Network tab in dev tools shows the same thing: all access to root (/) or index.php directly, with or no query strings or paths gives error 404. All the other access, such as javascript files, occurs normally. I created a test php file in Apache's document root and accessing it occurs normally. The only problem is index.php.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

My .htaccess is the one which Vanilla gives, without changes:

and you said you changed the rewritebase to point to your forum and it didn't work.

I'm already logged in since Vanilla was installed. If I logout, there is no way no login again, dashboard also gives Page Not Found after logout.

If you can't login again - you've got a bigger problem. which you should have mentioned from the get-go. Since trying to other things is pointless.

I don't know I just use ubuntu and install another partition and it works fine. and I recommend trying this OS until someone else finds a solution for you.

I know someone else using pagodabox had troubles you can search pagodabox in forum.

I don't know much about pagodabox and not sure where that fits in.

you have a localhost.
    you have apache and php installed.
    and your database is on your localhost.

By the way my internet connection is much slower than yours and my computer is not as powerful and I can compile and download things, you say you can't :)

I'm out of this discussion until you switch to another os.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Well, I have questions before I can think about the situations

1: Check MySQL and catch errors.

2: What version of Vanilla are you downloading? Latest Stable Release or Latest Beta Release?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

do some other solutions BEFORE you even think about reinstalling the OS

all you need to do is add a partition or another hard disk, not too difficult.

@ilovetech said
    What version of Vanilla?

read the discussion at the top and you will see it has already been stated as 2.0.18.8

• Options
    edited October 2013

Also, @tsouzar

How do you use numbered lines on the code tag in HTML

• Options
    tsouzartsouzar New
    edited October 2013

@peregrine First, thanks for all your support. Sorry but an ISO doesn't fall from the sky. Also, I haven't time to install a new OS and I can't jeopardize my system's stability just for a forum platform (is each time easier for me abandon Vanilla).

I guess you suggested me this due to a bad understanding of login problem. I can't login again because on access dashboard I get Page Not Found error, such as the other pages. While logged in I can access the dashboard.

I'm aware of the Pagodabox problems with Vanilla related to read-only permissions and I already have a soluction for them. And lol man, I can discern a localhost from a remote hosting.

Or you confused Bit with Byte in my connection speed (browser shows between 0 and 33KBp/s, always ranging), or you're underestimating how Internet is at Brazil. PHP source appears to have more than 100MB, what takes more than 2 hours to accomplish when downloading.

@ilovetech How can I check these MySQL and catch errors?
    "How do you use numbered lines on the code tag in HTML": you're asking? With my bad English and no question mark is hard to understand what you said. If you're asking, I just used Markdown code syntax.

• Options

Well, If you are using 2.0.18.8, maybe testing a beta release would work. Also, if you don't have much data, remove and recreate the database. Also, phpMyAdmin should have an option to "Repair Database" or "Check Database" or something.

• Options

@peregrine said: I'm out of this discussion until you switch to another os.
    And @peregrine said: do some other solutions BEFORE you even think about reinstalling the OS
    all you need to do is add a partition or another hard disk, not too difficult.
    @ilovetech said What version of Vanilla?

read the discussion at the top and you will see it has already been stated as 2.0.18.8

@peregrine I thought you said "I'm out of this discussion until @tsouzar switches to another OS"

• Options

And @tsouzar If you are looking for another OS, and looking for a server client OS, I recommend Ubuntu Server 13.04 if you have a amd-64 capable processor or the Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS (Long term release. Supported until 2017) which has a choice of 64-bit, or 32-bit. Check out the requirements at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements