Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Temporary ban plugin?

2»

Comments

• Options

@whu606 said:
    I guess it depends on how often you need to give bans.

Luckily, it's very rare on my forum, so when we have had to, we just change their status to Guest for the required time.

That fine if there aren't multiple role you have to remember.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

ban is treated differently. the ban over-rides all other permissions.

while banned, you are unable to log on. at my forum, that still allows you to see most content.

I've only banned spammers and test accounts. People on my forum are pretty good natured so far.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

As well as the other solutions offered....

One can easily put the info in reason for banning comment "30 - 10/16/13"
    that stands for 30 days banned option in dashboard.

then a checkbox version similar to Bulkedit can read the Ban table - parse the day and ban date

you wouldn't need to add any more columns to a table.

remove the Ban flag in user table. and remove the entry in Ban Table

so Bulkedit and CleanLog plugins would be two easy models to follow.

CleanLog - allows log entries to be deleted by date by admin. A mod would be easy to change sql structure to work on user table and ban table.

Bulkedit mod - method would allow selective checkboxes.

Adding a script execution to unbans when signin by the admin and mods would be possible also. It would unban the the banned users at the proper time assuming the mods and admins login more frequently then the banned users.

now it falls on the hands of the person who suggested it to offer a pledge to someone wiling to develop or someone who wants to develop it for free can do it.

All kinds of good suggestions to the would-be developer.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    As well as the other solutions offered....

One can easily put the info in reason for banning comment "30 - 10/16/13"
    that stands for 30 days banned option in dashboard.

then a checkbox version similar to Bulkedit can read the Ban table - parse the day and ban date

you wouldn't need to add any more columns to a table.

remove the Ban flag in user table. and remove the entry in Ban Table

so Bulkedit and CleanLog plugins would be two easy models to follow.

CleanLog - allows log entries to be deleted by date by admin. A mod would be easy to change sql structure to work on user table and ban table.

Bulkedit mod - method would allow selective checkboxes.

Adding a script execution to unbans when signin by the admin and mods would be possible also. It would unban the the banned users at the proper time assuming the mods and admins login more frequently then the banned users.

now it falls on the hands of the person who suggested it to offer a pledge to someone wiling to develop or someone who wants to develop it for free can do it.

All kinds of good suggestions to the would-be developer.

...bump.

A year later, did anything happen to come of this? It's a bit harsh on users that they get completely banned or nothing. So a temporary-ban plugin would be super.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

... there's your man below....

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@Simeon_Griggs said:
    A year later, did anything happen to come of this? It's a bit harsh on users that they get completely banned or nothing. So a temporary-ban plugin would be super.

Hey Simeon I think we work together before PM me, if you would like to fund this.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2014

I've always been of the mindset that either you can talk and reason with the member, or you can't. If you can, you don't need a ban. If you can't, why let them back?

I "temporary ban" in the sense that if you email me an apology two years later, I'll unban you. I haven't figured out how to code that yet.

• Options

@Linc said:
    I've always been of the mindset that either you can talk and reason with the member, or you can't. If you can, you don't need a ban. If you can't, why let them back?

I "temporary ban" in the sense that if you email me an apology two years later, I'll unban you. I haven't figured out how to code that yet.

linc - we totally agree! Is that amazing or what!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

But as an addendum. It might be handy for some people's forums to have a
    detention plugin.

e.g. If the poster gets abusive but is normally a good poster B) , they could get something like 3 or 5 day detentions where all their posts have to be approved. Automating movement into a role that requires approval for discussions and/or comments.

As an anecdote this was tried on a forum and many users complained that the user was put on detention and caused more trouble than it was worth. and required the admin to approve messages.

• Options

@Linc said:

Because occasionally good posters overstep the mark. It's like having a justice system that only has freedom or execution as an outcome. I've had people thankful for a 24 hour 'holiday' from the forum.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

@Simeon_Griggs said:
    It's like having a justice system that only has freedom or execution as an outcome.

Sounds like you've never been on the receiving end of an angry Lincoln. :p

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Simeon_Griggs said:
    Because occasionally good posters overstep the mark. It's like having a justice system that only has freedom or execution as an outcome. I've had people thankful for a 24 hour 'holiday' from the forum.

when you say holiday - do you mean just prevention of posting comments or discussions for the user in detention?

• Options

@peregrine said:

Inability to use the forum.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Simeon_Griggs said:
    Inability to use the forum=holiday

yea that is what is expected. But doing this to valuable members = angry ex members

That needs restraining orders and such.. maybe even a yak hunting permit...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@vrijvlinder said: .... restraining orders.

how about re-training order :)

If you have a forum that is very demanding....

:p

• Options

@peregrine said:

How about North Korean style re-education.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@x00 said:
    How about North Korean style re-education.

I think x00 said that... ;)

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Ban? Ban? Banning's too good for 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtDG_u0ZdAE