Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

SMPT isn't working for me

edited October 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

So I'm trying to configure my forum's outgoing email setting but it's not working. Before I go any further I should say I that I've already looked through almost ever post about this and none have really helped.

Here are the settings I have:

SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP User: ********@gmail.com
SMTP Password: ********
SMTP Port: 465
SMTP Security: SSL (Though I've also tried TLS)

Whenever I try to resend a verification email it just tells me something is wrong and I never receive the email. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh and I'm using gmail (obviously)

Best Answers

Answers

• Options

Welcome to the community!

I use the same Gmail host and SSL port on a site with no problems.

@TheNetTweets said:
    (Though I've also tried TLS)

Did you try TLS with port 587? If it doesn't work, try no security protocol with port 25.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

@Shadowdare said:
    Welcome to the community!

I use the same Gmail host and SSL port on a site with no problems.

Did you try TLS with port 587? If it doesn't work, try no security protocol with port 25.

Sorry for the late response and thank you for the welcome!

Nope neither of those worked. I get this message when I try to resend the confirmation email: "Bonk
    Something funky happened. Please bear with us while we iron out the kinks."

• Options

Also do you know if it's ok if I only say "Powered by Vanilla.", and don't actually link? The reason for this is that I have "Powered by Vanilla" right next to another link and if I make "Powered by Vanilla" a link it will look like it's part of the other link.

• Options

@hbf said:
    its not required at all.

Oh ok

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited October 2013

FWIW i use a non hyperlinked 'pipe' | to separate links if they could be confused as a single link. (or double pipe, see signature)

• Options

@TheNetTweets said:
    Nope neither of those worked. I get this message when I try to resend the confirmation email: "Bonk Something funky happened. Please bear with us while we iron out the kinks."

Please follow these steps to see the error behind the bonk error: http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Bonk_Errors

• Options
    edited October 2013

@hbf said:
    FWIW i use a non hyperlinked 'pipe' | to separate links if they could be confused as a single link. (or double pipe, see signature)

Good idea! Do you have any recommendations for plugins? I just started today.

• Options

@Shadowdare said:

Oh so this error is serious?

• Options
    edited October 2013

@Shadowdare said:

Here's the error then:

http://pastebin.com/RDerNHxV

• Options

@Shadowdare said:
    Your web host might be blocking the connection to the SMTP server via all those ports from going through their firewall. You should contact your web host to see if this is true and if they can unblock outbound connections to smtp.gmail.com through SSL port 465.

Ok thanks! Also do you know where I can find the favicon.ico?

• Options

You can create a custom theme, add a design folder in the theme folder, and add a custom favicon called favicon.png.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@TheNetTweets said:
    Good idea! Do you have any recommendations for plugins? I just started today.

there are other threads on "favorite plugins" start there.

• Options

@Shadowdare said:
    Your web host might be blocking the connection to the SMTP server via all those ports from going through their firewall. You should contact your web host to see if this is true and if they can unblock outbound connections to smtp.gmail.com through SSL port 465.

So my terrible host told me that they couldnt unblock that port. They said the only unblocked ports were port 80 and 21. Is it possible to use those ports?

• Options

@TheNetTweets said:
    So my terrible host told me that they couldnt unblock that port. They said the only unblocked ports were port 80 and 21. Is it possible to use those ports?

It's not possible with Google's SMTP host. You should find another host that allows the SMTP ports if possible.

• Options

@Shadowdare said:
    It's not possible with Google's SMTP host. You should find another host that allows the SMTP ports if possible.

I just learned that literally just a couple minutes before you posted this. Thanks anyways though!

• Options

@Shadowdare said:

I found that my host has a built in mail service that is actually nicer than using @gmail. Thanks for all the help!

• Options

Personally, i prefer using the SMTP simply because most of your emails will reach the inbox of your users not the junk folder.