Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product

Category Viewing thought.

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited January 2014 in Feedback

I haven't experimented with this. but was wondering about easy fixes, or possible thoughts on implementation of it.

lets say you have

All Discussions   

Category A    
    category 1    
    category 2   

Category B    
      category 3    
      category 4    

All Discussions - shows all discussions in all categories

Does vanilla have the ability through current plugins or functionality to allow something similar with Categories and sub-categories.

to click on Category A and see all discussions related to category 1 and category 2

to click on Category 1 and see all discussions related to category 1

to click on Category 2 and see all discussions related to category 2

to click on Category B and see all discussions related to category 3 and category 4

to click on Category 3 and see all discussions related to category 3

to click on Category 4 and see all discussions related to category 4

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

UnderDogphreak

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

probably would require some major change to controller or model, I suspect.

seems like it would be handy though.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

UnderDog
  • businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
    edited January 2014

Correction: in my example, I wrote "Category ID: 15", while it should have been "Category ID: 5" (just below "Target category"). If any moderator can fix it, it would avoid confusion. Thanks. :)

peregrineUnderDog
  • whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... Moderator
  • thanks for the input and insights @businessdad.

UnderDog
  • LincLinc Vanilla's Bard (and Director of Development) Detroit Vanilla Staff

I would strongly recommend doing this in PHP with the data from CategoryModel::Categories() or GetSubtree(). Doing it in MySQL isn't necessary and I suspect those queries will murder your db performance on large sites. The methods I referenced will use the cache if available.

peregrineShadowdareUnderDog
  • your insights are always valuable @Lincoln , thx.

UnderDog
  • hi everyone!

I am a new vanilla user, and I want to achieve exactly whats asked in the first post -
    can anyone give a short tutorial on how to change the php files?

Thank you so much! I am really lost for now...