HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Category Viewing thought.

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited January 2014 in Feedback

I haven't experimented with this. but was wondering about easy fixes, or possible thoughts on implementation of it.

lets say you have

All Discussions   

Category A    
    category 1    
    category 2   

Category B    
      category 3    
      category 4    

All Discussions - shows all discussions in all categories

Does vanilla have the ability through current plugins or functionality to allow something similar with Categories and sub-categories.

to click on Category A and see all discussions related to category 1 and category 2

to click on Category 1 and see all discussions related to category 1

to click on Category 2 and see all discussions related to category 2

to click on Category B and see all discussions related to category 3 and category 4

to click on Category 3 and see all discussions related to category 3

to click on Category 4 and see all discussions related to category 4

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

probably would require some major change to controller or model, I suspect.

seems like it would be handy though.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
    edited January 2014

Correction: in my example, I wrote "Category ID: 15", while it should have been "Category ID: 5" (just below "Target category"). If any moderator can fix it, it would avoid confusion. Thanks. :)

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@businessdad

Done (I think...)

• thanks for the input and insights @businessdad.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I would strongly recommend doing this in PHP with the data from CategoryModel::Categories() or GetSubtree(). Doing it in MySQL isn't necessary and I suspect those queries will murder your db performance on large sites. The methods I referenced will use the cache if available.

• your insights are always valuable @Lincoln , thx.

• hi everyone!

I am a new vanilla user, and I want to achieve exactly whats asked in the first post -
    can anyone give a short tutorial on how to change the php files?

Thank you so much! I am really lost for now...