Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

a radical and great idea.

hey guys, im planning to have a multilingual forum which has the same user database but different Discussion database., im thinking it's doable but can anyone put me to a right direction?

im thinking to have

GDN_Discussion_US
GDN_Discussion_UK

these database has only use one user table.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

your idea would be radical and probably require radical changes to entire structure and code...

not the answer you want. and all pure conjecture and guessing...

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/translatethis-plugin

or telling users to use google translate in their browser.

if you are thinking of just a few languages - multilingual plugin and category permissions for different languages come to mind. I've never used multi-lingual.

not sure how having two discussion databases would be much different than two categories, other than one would not require you add the complication of two discussion tables and two of everyhting just for the sake of having a similar usertable.

what you want ....
    would require more than two discussion tables. it would be userdiscussion categories, activity, comment tables , etc. counters would be off.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Discussion table, not database.

I think you would be creating much more work for yourself. Also there is no need to create a different table theoretically, it not as if wordpresss uses a different table for different post types, plus you have also go the comment table.

It would be more sensible and sane, just to restrict 'root' categories to language. Almost zero effort, for much the same result.

The only plugin you might need to to switch the locale, perhaps cosmetic things around the category, etc.

Besides I wouldn't even attempt to something like this without properly understanding the architecture.

You would be creating something quite different to vanilla, and you wouldn't be considering if there is much point in doing it, or the monumental responsibility of maintaining such fork.

grep is your friend.

• Biggest mistake people do is come up with with a solution, without properly considering the problem.

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I would also take the category approach.

1. Create one root category per language
    2. Create your subcategories per language
    3. You can try to guess the language of guests by their http request header
    4. Give them the opportunity to "change language" (i.e. top category)
    5. Guess language from first time users and add a "preferred language" to registration process
    6. give them a profile option for preferred language
    7. change locale according to user settings I guess in bootstrap.after.php
    8. Hide all but locale category

If you use multiple discussion and tables you would have to rework each and every function (Vanillas own functions and plugins , too) that has anything to do with that tables => bad idea.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This sounds like a bad idea. Having a single user table for multiple forums actually sounds like a good deal.

I think splitting out the languages on a per category basis makes sense in this case.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• fr3em1ndfr3em1nd ✭✭
    edited March 2014

Hey guys thanks for the comments and recommendations., yeah well i have considered the problem very well, im thinking to have a different database altogether and have them on a subdomain US.MYDOMAIN.COM UK.MYDOMAIN.COM with the flags below.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Just out of curiosity: why "multilingual" when you want to separate between US and UK?

• Hi @R_J those are just examples but it is not "multilingual" per se it's by country, one thing i needed to consider these is GoogleAdsense since im located in a language that's not supported by google adsense , and i ahve lots of users coming from countries where their language is accepted by google policies.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited March 2014

I suggest perhaps creating a new indexed column on the Discussions table instead to accomplish this division.

Or, even better, just use Roles & Permissions to do it (and/or categories as hgtonight suggests).

• What you are asking for is essentially a multi-site, it see steep undertaking. It is not like wordpress got it right first time.

The less messy thing to would be to have separate installations of vanilla, and a single single sign on. You would need different cookie names and salts for each of them.

There is a pattern that uses symlink for much of there files, so you don't have to physically duplicate everything, but some essential file are separate so you can configure it.

grep is your friend.

• @hgtonight said:
    This sounds like a bad idea. Having a single user table for multiple forums actually sounds like a good deal.

I think splitting out the languages on a per category basis makes sense in this case.

Still no mean feat. MyIsam does allow symlinking of the actual table files, but that won't work in InnoDB.

grep is your friend.

• @R_J said:
    Just out of curiosity: why "multilingual" when you want to separate between US and UK?

so he can use lorry. bloke, wanker,, sucking eggs, and loo which is foreign language in U.S.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.