Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Remove or disable RSS feed

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@peregrine said:
    oh, I mistakenly thought he was heeding my advice of adding to custom.css - the smarter place to change things. :)

He did :p
    as the image above shows. It is best to add it to the child theme so that it does not affect all the other themes .

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

It is best to add it to the child theme so that it does not affect all the other themes .

I guess what's best is what's best. To me, if I never want the rss showing, and if I use bootstrap, I would change it one central place for all subthemes. but to each his own. we always think differently - you know that.

:p

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

I see it in custom.css

this is what he added :)

span.RSS {
    display:none
    }
    span.MItem.RSS{
        display:none!important;
        }

the doublemint twins. :)

use one or the other.

http://forum.showstuff.org/themes/Bootstrap/design/custom.css?v=2.3.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Yes, because you are the man guy ... lol

• Options

Sorry I had to step away from the party... I've tried to catch back up quickly...

• Options

From the fresh install, the only change I made to Bootstrap was the custom.css (I added both which may only complicate things; I don't know)

• Options

you might want to remove one or the other of the changes in custom.css

you should be fine.

your css web pages are cached by something (cloudflare or something), very difficult to develop unless you turn it off. Take a nap and then come back in a few hours the rss link will be gone.

• Options

@vrijvlinder‌ - the changes to the child theme were prior to overwriting the Bootstrap files in my themes folder. Should I do that again? I still can't see the successful change. I've never seen a caching problem this invasive.

• Options

@peregrine‌ - thanks; I hate to ask it BUT which one do you recommend I remove?

• Options

Yes , and it does work. The first one does not do anything if the second one is !important but you only need one I suggest the one with MItem class since that means Meta Item. You may want to add an rss span elsewhere and that would prevent it showing.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

:)
    @peregrine‌ - thanks; I hate to ask it BUT which one do you recommend I remove?

whatever vrijvlinder says - she's the boss lady.

me I'd use the top, until I had a need to change it. >:)

• Options

ok. I checked my cPanel and Supercacher was running. I cleared it for the forum.showstuff.org domain but... (you guessed it...)

I also changed the custom.css to only reflect the span.MIten.RSS...!important code.

• Options
    edited October 2014

@showstuff said:
    vrijvlinder‌ - the changes to the child theme were prior to overwriting the Bootstrap files in my themes folder. Should I do that again? I still can't see the successful change. I've never seen a caching problem this invasive.

It happens. I know it is a pain that is why I use those tools that force load the newest version of the file. Otherwise you can also try deleting all the .ini files in the cache folder every time. But it is best to just reload using that tool.. I know it works much better in chrome, I am on a mac so that also could be why but it can be anything.

The benefit of adding it to the child theme, is that if you switch themes and forget you took it off then you might want it and not know why it is not there.

The custom.css will affect all of the child themes.

make sure you do not use Minify plugin or pagespeed or anything of that nature

• Options

@showstuff said:
    ok. I checked my cPanel and Supercacher was running. I cleared it for the forum.showstuff.org >domain but... (you guessed it...)

It works, I can see the code in the file and everything. Just go have a beer and later it will be fine.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

Just go have a beer and later it will be fine.

vrijvlinder and I both agree - it is unusal, but it has been known to happen. :wink:

yes perhaps

• a sixpack of beer,
    • a bottle of tequila,
    • an asprin,
    • and call us in the morning (12 hours from now) , whichever comes later) if you don't see the changes.

We guarantee your changes will work (or your money back from - you to you), because you are frittering your time away now. it works, but you won't see it until later.

• Options

:) sounds like a good plan... I do appreciate the help and sticking with me on this!

• Options

... still here, not drinking yet... Got it! sort of... I was able to Reload CSS in both Firefox and Chrome BUT when I do a browser refresh, they come back???? Is that normal? Will that be corrected after the binge drinking?

• Options

Yes it will get sorted with time.

The reason it comes back after refresh is because it is still fetching the old page. You can try to delete the cache on both browsers including history and cookies.