HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

This is terrible! Read this and offer your comments...

snootysnooty Florida

I was putting in Google something to the tune of "is anyone using Vanilla forums" or something similar, when this link appeared on page one no less: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/32164/can-we-do-away-with-vanilla-forums-and-get-a-polished-professional-and-full-featured-forum-app

I would like to see what you all think of the comments.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

they are still using 2.1b1 and many of the complaints are no polling, no likes, and a variety of other things that plugins could handle.

the users appear to be complaining not about vanilla itself but the plugins that the forum owner chose to use.

one plugin in use is the ignore button. I would use that one alot for all the repeat whiners on that forum, I would just tell them to go away if they don't like it. The forum owner has no regrets for choosing vanilla, because he says - it is here to stay.

design wise - it looks pretty cool to me.

Apparently - the users comlaining about it - don't have the beginning of a clue what vanilla is capable of doing.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited May 2014

@snooty I've grown a thick skin over Vanilla haters, and here's why: it's almost entirely ignorance. Vanilla is such a chameleon it can look and act in so many ways, that most of the time those hater discussions are people complaining about how their particular forum owner has chosen to set things up. We can't control that.

The perfect example is that guy whining about BBCode. There isn't a single person on the Vanilla team that likes BBCode. In fact, while HTML is currently the default, we're making Markdown the default in 2.3 and laid the groundwork for flipping that switch in 2.1. Does that guy care? No. That admin set it to BBCode so obviously Vanilla sucks. Meanwhile, others complain we aren't wasting enough time implementing every shitty BBCode tag vBulletin invented. So it goes, down the list.

What we can control is our marketing image and spreading awareness of how customizable and flexible our way of doing things is. That's a lot of the thinking that's gone into reworking our GitHub presence and how we present open source. Our sales team is doing a terrific job of showing the product for what it is, and the company is growing accordingly.

Every overnight success is the result of years of hard work.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

haters gonna hate

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

That is pretty funny considering that site is absolutely gorgeous!

Every feature they listed is in core or core addons. Some people are just impatient I suppose.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I think they should compare Vanilla with the iPhone. It is the same concept. You get the framework and you add what you need in the form of addons/ apps.

When you first get an iPhone it has only a few apps the bare essentials .My reaction was, wtf is this ? Then when you realize all the apps there are, that is when it becomes clear that it is a good thing.

People these days want instant gratification without reading instructions. It is their fault not the software.

I can't tell you how much I hate phpBB or vBulletin . To work with or to use as a forum user. When I visit that kind of forum, I get a claustrophobic feeling. It is nearly impossible to find what you want and is harder to read and know what is the post and what is their signature..

It is only a matter of spreading the correct info.