Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Not showing discussion as new...

Consider user1 create a discussion under a category** cat1**, log out and log in as user2. Now user2 view the post as new. Then user2 add a post in same category cat2 and log out. Now user1 logged in and go to the cat1 category but the post posted by user2 is not labeled as new for the user1. I think my question is clear..

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Are the discussions marked properly in the /discussions view?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• what theme? You failed to mention your version of vanilla?

I thought it says this: is anyone reading before posting?

Please include the version number of Vanilla you are using for troubleshooting help. To file a bug report , please instead post details and steps to reproduce on our GitHub project . For addon-specific questions, go to its addon page and click the "Ask A Question" link.

try adding this to your custom.css if you are using 2.1 (may work in other versions as well

HasNew, .JustNew {
    display: inline;
    margin-right: 5px;
    }

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• version is 2.1 and theme is custom theme

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Be aware that there is a difference between new discussions and discussions with unread comments. New discussions have the class "New" and discussions with new comments have the class "Unread". Are those classes set in the html code of your page?

• I have Same problem..

• @Vanillaplus said:
    I have Same problem..

so did you try adding this to your custom.css

HasNew, .JustNew { display: inline; margin-right: 5px; }

or did you just want to do a me too without trying possible solution

The gist of things is to try offered solution to see if it works. you can try mine. if it doesn't work.

try r_j's.

my solution works for me and probably others as well.

are you talking on the discussion topics page.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine‌ Above CSS shows only "New" in the yellow box, but I want the NUMBER OF NEW COMMENTS to be shown before the "New"
    ex:- 21 New

• show a screen shot so I can see which page you are talking about.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited June 2014

like on this forum? that is a plugin

grep is your friend.

• either

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/voting-plugin

https://github.com/wlonk/BigCount

voting also has voting, which reorders the comments and you may not want this.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

here is how it works. if someone else starts a discussion and there are comments and you newver read the discussion is it obvious from the comment count how many comments you haven't read. it means you never read the discussion.

if you read the discussion, someone else comments after you read it it will say 1 new

e.g. if this were changed in the view then you could change behavior

assuming you created new views

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/applications/vanilla/views/discussions/helper_functions.php#L235

if TRUE were changed to "VanillaPlus" then it would show x new everywhere even if you never read the discussion.

another possible change would be here in the model.

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/applications/vanilla/models/class.discussionmodel.php#L583
    change to $Discussion->CountUnreadComments =$Discussion->CountComments;

• cycascycas
    edited June 2014

I have some users reporting that they are not reliably getting threads with unread comments highlighted, as mentioned here. Most of the threads are highlighted when they have new comments but a few are not.

I am on Vanilla 2.1 with theme Bitter Sweet version 1.1
    I have very slightly customised Bitter Sweet with these extra lines of css to try to ensure users can always spot unread threads:

.New .Title a, .Unread .Title a {background-color: #ffff93; font-weight:bold;} .New a:after, .Unread a:after {color: red; content: " *";} .HasNew, .JustNew { display: inline; margin-right: 5px; }

Users reporting this are on Firefox on Mac, Safari on IoS and IE on Windows 7. At least a couple of them are pretty reliable and I think are unlikely to be making it up. :smiley:

I'm unable to replicate the problem myself, and I suspect that these may be very active users who are constantly checking the forum for new stuff. Is there a timeout or something that could be adjusted?

• I've found an example of this issue : the thread is marked 'Read' in the css even though it definitely hasn't been. Other threads are marked correctly.

I've been trying to puzzle through the code to work out when and how that 'Read' in the css is set, but I'm not having much luck.

The timestamp is correct, and the thread appears at the top of the list of threads as you'd expect. It seems to be the 'read' / 'unread' attribute that isn't being set correctly, that and the 'X new' comments notation.

In most threads I have both of these working fine, I cannot see what's different about the odd thread that isn't highlighted!

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Are they using multiple tabs?

Are you using the All Viewed plugin?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• cycascycas
    edited June 2014

Nope, not multiple tabs, definitely not viewing on more than one device either.

I do have the All Viewed plugin installed, but it is not enabled.

The attached screenshot shows the issue, this time on Firefox on Windows Vista. The user left the forum for a couple of hours: on her return, the 'Tia and Holly' thread was displayed marked up in the css as read, although she had not read it and it is correctly showing in the correct 'last updated' order.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

did you put the red asterisk in the screenshot for identification, or are you using some other plugins that adds them.

in other words what are all the plugins you are you using and did you alter themehooks.

• No, no alterations to themehooks at all. The red asterisks were a one-line css amend because some of my users found the default to have insufficiently high contrast: the only file amended was the css file, and I literally just tagged on these three lines to the end of it :

.New .Title a, .Unread .Title a {background-color: #ffff93; font-weight:bold;} .New a:after, .Unread a:after {color: red; content: " *";} .HasNew, .JustNew { display: inline; margin-right: 5px; }

(Normally I would subtheme, but it didn't seem worth it for 3 extra lines in the css.)

Plugins enabled are:
    Button Bar v1.6
    Discussion Polls v1.2.3
    Emotify v2.05
    FileUpload 1.7.1
    In This Discussion v1
    Invisibility Cloak v1
    Split / Merge v1.1
    Tagging v1.6.2
    Timeago v2.0.0

• I take it nobody else is seeing this problem. I'm still unable to determine why it's happening. :\

The forum was originally a Vanilla 1 import, it's been running since 2006, I think. I wonder if that is relevant?

Bailey is sad that I cannot work out how to fix this:

(one of our small charity's rescue dogs : the forum is basically most of the internal admin system for our charity.)

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You've got me...
    My girlfriend is spending some of her spare time for poor dogs and so I think I'm obliged to help you. But I'm convinced it is impossible to guess what is happening to you and I'm not sure how to find out what is happening in your board.

Sadly I will not have time for that the next week, but here's my offer: if no one solves your problem in the meantime, I would look at your files (if it is okay for you, I would send you my mail address and I'd need you to zip me the folders /applications, /library, /plugins, /themes and also /conf, but please exclude all of your database credentials in /conf/config.php)
    That way I can look at the files if I see something suspicious. If not, I'd send you some SQLs but I doubt that it is a database problem

• Thank you so much! I know it sounds like a small thing but if you have 3-4 dogs needing help a day with multiple posts about transport, kennel space etc, it's a real pain if volunteers manning the phone lines can't quickly spot the threads they've already looked at, and I am getting nowhere looking at the code :\ . This is us: http://www.oldies.org.uk/