Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Pretty URLS

I just installed vanilla forums :)
Now I see the very first discussion that is automatically generated. 'BAM! You’ve got a sweet forum'
I see that all discussion come with a url like -" http://gomilitary.in/Forum/discussion/1/bam-you-ve-got-a-sweet-forum"

Can I remove this 'discussion' and the no. i.e. '1' from the urls completely. If yes, how ? And does removing them have any effect on SEO .

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

No, what you are suggesting to do is ruin the address. The url is already prettified. Removing the "discussion" is like removing the zip code on the letter you want to mail. The number is the ID of the discussion. Removing it would be like removing the address number on a letter you were going to mail. In both cases the letter will be returned to sender from not finding the address.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Removing this would have no impact on SEO.

Note - The above claim cannot be proven true or false.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Specially if the discussion can't be found...

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@onesoftindiana said:
    Can I remove this 'discussion' and the no. i.e. '1' from the urls completely. If yes, how ? And does removing them have any effect on SEO .

If you remove the number you run into problems if two discussions have the same title like e.g. "Todays Horoscope"

• Options

@R_J said:
    If you remove the number you run into problems if two discussions have the same title like e.g. "Todays Horoscope"

But the words 'discussions' and '1' simple increases the word length and as far as my limited knowledge goes, google return only a certain length of url in search result. So wouldn't it be better if instead of having these two words, i can simply have the url something like --
    gomilitary.in/Forum/best-book-for-preparation
    as opposed to gomilitary.in/Forum/discussions/2405/best-book-for-preparation
    The first one looks clean too.
    Please share your views..everyone..I'm new to vanilla.

• Options
    edited September 2014

The word discussions can be changed to anything you want, like chats or posts or anything but it has to be there to be able to find something specific.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/search-engine.htm

The id number of the discussions will increase as you post more and more. It is important to have if you want that specific discussion found.

Search engines don't care about the length of the url , it cares about the keywords in your metadata in the index.

Also keep in mind that the "discussions" is the application being targeted not just a title.

There is also "conversations" which is also an application within Vanilla.

The purpose of this is the need to organize things in such a way that they are easy to find later. The goal is to make it easy to find not harder to find.

• Options

Thank you everyone. It's going to be a great journey on vanilla forums with guys like you always ready to help.
    Best Regards. :smile:
    By the way is that an addon, the 'text editor' that has been implemented here with the option of attaching image.

• Options

It will be available sometime next year if we pray hard ;)

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

@vrijvlinder said:
    It will be available sometime next year if we pray hard ;)

Oh yeah? https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/pull/2108