Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Just upgraded to 2.1.6 and get blank page! Please help.

Hi,
I just followed the instructions to upgrade from 2.0.xx to 2.1.6 and I get only a blank page (seemingly sometimes a 500 error) when I go to my forum URL.
I'm using 1&1.
I backed up the database, the config file and uploaded all the Vanilla files to the same location as the previous setup.
I can't figure out what's wrong.
It seems that index.php doesn't work.
The database installer doesn't appear.
What's up? Please help!
Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Don't panic..

Make sure your htaccess file is unchanged , if it is then fix it again

Make sure the default.master.php is deleted from the applications/views/ folder

Delete the .ini files in the cache folder

Disable all the plugins in the config.php by changing true to false , except the htmlawd plugin

Make sure that in the config it states that Vanilla is installed

• All checked. All these things had been done previous to me posting here on the forum. Still no luck.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Check your PHP error log for what's happening and report back the exact error.

• Linc, in what directory may I find that?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited November 2014

where you host your forum there is an error log ask your host how to access it

add this to config.php

$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

In a new file, put this: <?php phpinfo(); and view it in a web browser. It will tell you about your PHP install, including where the error log may be found (or whether it's disabled).

• @JimD said:
    The database installer doesn't appear.

If you are upgrading you don't want to reinstall Vanilla, simply upload your backed up config.php to the /conf folder and follow the upgrade instructions.

• Hi Linc,
    I have been able to view phpinfo.php and, despite turning on error logging as instructed in the Vanilla debugging instructions, the file shows error_log no_value and log_errors off. I wonder why.

Bleistivt, thanks. I have followed the instructions but get a blank page for my home page.

• Remove all the $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']... lines from your config except for HTMLLawed's line.

And if you haven't already done that, add $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;

• Bleistivt, thanks, but I've done that long ago as per the debugging instructions. I did that before ever posting my question here.

• Going to bed now. Will check back in about 9 hours. Thanks, B and L.

• And the homepage is still completely white?

• Ok, when you're back, open /index.php and edit line 21 to

ini_set('display_errors', 1);

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭
    edited November 2014

I have just copied the 7 files to upgrade from 2.1.5 to 2.1.6. I have setup a test site so i can test it all works and find any problems before it goes live: I have tested the a few themes and chosen Apptastic 0.9.2, In dashboard I can't access these plugins Pockets, KCategoryColors , Civil Tongue and the BizlinkAdmin from the plugins. I just get a Blank page.
    The PM system seems to have faults, click PM the box comes up typed a test message and when try to send got this error > " PDO Statement failed to prepare|Gdn_Database|Query|Unknown column 'uc.DateConversation"
    When i click to view InBox i get a error message> " Something has gone wrong "

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@DenisS said:

The PM system seems to have faults, click PM the box comes up typed a test message and when try to send got this error > " PDO Statement failed to prepare|Gdn_Database|Query|Unknown column 'uc.DateConversation"
    When i click to view InBox i get a error message> " Something has gone wrong "

@Denis - telling people you get the message "Something has gone wrong" doesn't help you solve your issue. please read

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/219669/#Comment_219669

also make sure you follow the upgrade instructions to a T, particularly step 4,5, and 6

• Delete the .ini files in your cache folder.
    • Delete the files /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php
    • Delete /applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php (not default.master.tpl which should also be in that folder)
    • Delete the value $Configuration['Vanilla']['Views']['Denormalize'] = TRUE; from /conf/config.php if it is present, unless you are knowingly running memcached and have configured it. If that value is not in your config, you have nothing to do and may continue.

• Run /index.php?p=/utility/update to update the database. It may take a while. If it fails, run it again. It picks up where it left off if it doesn't complete due to a timeout.

and also follow the Troubleshooting Tips in the link below:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26685/vanilla-2-1-stable-released/p1

some of the errors you report seem to indicate you haven't followed all the steps.

also check your rewrite urls are working and .htaccess is set correctly.

and this is in your config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

you can report themes an plugins here in this thread:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26703/plugins-themes-that-work-and-dont-work-in-vanilla-2-1/p1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited November 2014

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE; that is ok.
    " also check your rewrite urls are working and .htaccess is set correctly " where do i find these and check what? sorry i don't understand this.

Delete the files /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php << Don't exist
    Delete the value $Configuration['Vanilla']['Views']['Denormalize'] = TRUE; <<<< Don't exist
    I did not upgrade I installed it fresh in a new .com folder >>> as upgrade filed many times.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

are working and . .htaccess is set correctly " where do i find these

.htaccess should be in the root of your forum folder

that information would be in the same discussion I pointed to you above regarding Something has gone wrong except it would be 6 - 10 inches further down the page.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/208333/#Comment_208333

take a look at my previous comment again, I edited it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

the above is not a complete error message.

add the following statement to config.php

$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;

show a screenshot of the errormessage after you have it added

It's really not that hard if you focus.

and list all the plugins you have enabled

uc.DateConversation is not in any core code. so it probably comes from a plugin.

there is a DateConversationUpdated , but that is not what your error message says.

you need to list the entire error message not little bits and pieces.

Ok, I'm still testing and will try and log all the errors.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

The message is probably truncated and in its complete form would say DateConversationUpdated. This sounds like a SQL structure problem that should be solved by a /utility/update