Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What are the best mobile themes for Vanilla? Any screenshots?

I'm looking for a great mobile theme for my forum, so far my favourite is the 2014 Lithe theme but I think this is only available for the hosted version - I could be wrong?

Can anyone recommend some similar minimalistic mobile themes for vanilla?

Any screenshots would also be useful as I've searched the mobile themes in add ons and most don't show screenshots.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Check this one by me at www.kindaktuell.at. It's lightweight and simple.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Just put the word mobile in the search bar for the addons section and all the mobile themes will show up.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Adding here another link so we get more inputs on mobile themes: www.babyforum.at < running Vanilla 2.0.X

I'm also preparing some new themes for VanillaSkins for early 2015.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

@phreak is there any way to try out your theme before paying? i paid for a theme at the other place that sells them (TF), and both desktop and mobile versions were broken, presumably by some combo of my plugins. I really just want a theme to replace the stock mobile one (thinking your Google one) that works, has a few more features, and looks decent. Very willing to pay if it works but don't want to get hosed again (have been getting no reply from TF support).

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@webstey said:
    phreak is there any way to try out your theme before paying? i paid for a theme at the other place that sells them (TF), and both desktop and mobile versions were broken, presumably by some combo of my plugins. I really just want a theme to replace the stock mobile one (thinking your Google one) that works, has a few more features, and looks decent. Very willing to pay if it works but don't want to get hosed again (have been getting no reply from TF support).

There is a live demo on VanillaSkins.com of each of the themes. http://vanillaskins.com/themes/_demo/google-forum/

At the end of the day, the theme is only $15. Even if it your plugins break it, it is still worth at least $15.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thanks @hgtonight‌. I've seen the live demo and it looks fantastic. I had the "it's only $15" attitude before buying the other theme I bought; problem is, I can't afford to keep trying theme after theme and paying $15 for each one until something works.

• Options

@webstey‌ I know what you mean.

I am pretty sure I have a license for that theme, what plugins do you want tested?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight‌ my forum is at http://forum.trstri.com/. The ones that seem to be causing problems are the voting and cleditor plugins (although I haven't figured out why cleditor shows up on the 'nexus' theme I bought and not on the stock mobile theme). The voting plugin seems to get the recent discussion list all out of whack on both mobile and desktop, and the cleditor plugin renders the mobile keyboard useless. I saw another old thread here about the cleditor plugin busting mobile themes but no real resolution there.
    Thanks for all your help!

• Options

@hgtonight‌ and actually, it was the new "response" theme that I meant to ask about, not the google one :S Sorry about that. If you also have a license for that, I'll be very grateful; if not you've already been very helpful.

• Options

@webstey said:
    hgtonight‌ and actually, it was the new "response" theme that I meant to ask about, not the google one :S Sorry about that. If you also have a license for that, I'll be very grateful; if not you've already been very helpful.

Funny, as I looked through my email for my download link, I found that it was actually the "Response" theme I bought.

@webstey said:
    although I haven't figured out why cleditor shows up on the 'nexus' theme I bought and not on the stock mobile theme

This happens when the a mobile theme doesn't request non-mobile plugins to be deregistered.

As far as the voting plugin goes, I will test it out once I find my copy of the theme.

Search first

• Options
    edited December 2014

@hgtonight‌ informative and incredibly helpful. Can't thank you enough. BTW most of my users are experienced members of the slowtwitch.com forum (which uses some expensive proprietary software) and they've been very impressed with VF. Lots of very flattering comments toward me which should really be directed at the VF devs :)

• Options
    edited December 2014

@webstay and @hgtonight: the current plugins are kinda outdated and only work clean on 2.0.X neither do they have a mobile version. I'm currently very busy on my other company. Meaning if you wanna use it/buy it... right now you have to fix some things for 2.1 yourselves or wait till january/february. Thanx for your patience.

• Options

@phreak this is a really nice theme, what are the numbers on the avatars is this a point score?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@TownFish said:
    what are the numbers on the avatars is this a point score?

Nein. Anzahl der Kommentare und Beiträge

eine Gesamtzahl von Stellungnahmen und Beiträge

a variation of http://vanillaforums.org/addon/570/post-count

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Yes, it's the plugin that peregrine mentioned. And do not mistake it, it's admin views, so IP and Delete are only shown to Admin and the Mods.

Justa hint aside. I also made several little hacks to remove texts like "Last entry by:" and several other wordings so Google doesn't judge this keywords as important for the site content and concentrates on the real community content. > Webmaster Tools

• Options

Thanks for the info, @phreak‌. So any chance of getting a demo version then, so I can see how much work might be involved with fixing before I make the purchase? I'd be using/debugging it on my development site only until purchase, and would be glad to share any fixes I make for plugin compatibility etc. I am an experienced PHP developer and need to devote some more time to learning the VF code anyway, since I'm going to be in charge of running this forum for a client for at least the next year.

Again, I'm 100% for paying you, the developer, for the product but I can't keep tossing $15 at every theme I want to try, just to find out there's no way I can make it work.

• Options

@phreak sorry what's the link to purchase your theme?

• Options

Search first

• Options

@TownFish said:
    phreak sorry what's the link to purchase your theme?

sometimes people have links in their signatures.

pro-tip:

check out the user signature - they may have a link you may be interested in.

in this case @phreak has links to his site in his signature.

just as hgtonight has links to the wiki.

@linc what about adding underline style to links in the signature as well, as you guys did to make the links in the post more visible by underlining (since people were not realizing some words were actually links).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    what about adding underline style to links in the signature as well, as you guys did to make the links in the post more visible by underlining (since people were not realizing some words were actually links).

Holy hell, I just noticed this. When did this happen?

Search first