Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Users Unable to Sign Out

edited July 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

After logging in a second time on IE or Firefox, the user is unable to Sign out from the forum unless they clear their browser cache.
Firefox (38.0.5) and Internet Explorer (11.0.9600.17843)

Reproduction Steps:
1. Go to home page.
2. Sign in.
3. Rerouted to homepage, signed in successfully.
4. Sign out. This is successful.
5. Sign back in a second time.
6. Attempt to sign out. It fails and you remain signed in. No error is prompted and you are not rerouted. Refreshing and browsing to other tabs in the website does not fix the problem.
7. Clear browser cache.
8. Refresh page. user is now successfully signed out
Screenshots available for each step.

We are hosted by Go Daddy, using Vanilla 2.1.10

I would very much appreciate help on how to fix this. I know CSS and basic HTML. Please provide step by step instructions for anything more complicated than that.

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The user session is "stored" in an HMAC cookie.

What server software are you using? (apache, nginx, iis, etc.)?

Are you using any plugins?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Hi again @hgtonight!

It's not a plugin issue, more likely a server or caching issue.

We're using GoDaddy hosting, which is running Linux, and using a MySQL database for the Vanilla install.

• Options

Between steps 4/5 and 5/6, try refreshing the page.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Refreshing does not help.

This appears to be a Firefox and IE only issue. Chrome works fine.

Does that give any hints as to where we should look for a solution?

• Options

It sounds like a hanging session issue how many user have reported this issue, or is it just your testing?

grep is your friend.

• Options

It's reproducible every time by following the above steps. Both within our studio, and external with our users.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2015

Two hunches:

1. The cookie domain name and path is specific. Therefore the urls are resolving two different sessions.
    2. You have a cache issue on the server.

Can you share the forum url?

grep is your friend.

• Options
    edited July 2015

@x00 I would love to run these leads down for you, but I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to web development. Where can I find what you're talking about, and what specific steps should I take? (Happy to get you all the info I can).

The forum is here: http://www.hivejump.com/community

edit: the forum is in invite only mode, so if you need one, PM me your e-mail.

• Options

Tried clearing all the .ini's in my cache folder. Didn't help.

• Options

@hgtonight Any thoughts?

• Options

Bump! Still need help with this one. Unsure why it only happens on Firefox and IE, and not Chrome.

• Options

sent a PM

grep is your friend.

• Options

Much appreciated @x00, invite sent!

• Options

So I talked with GoDaddy today. They weren't too helpful in terms of correcting the issue, but they helped provide me some new avenues to look into.

1) php5.ini - I can create one of these on my root web hosting to modify things like session length. I'm not sure how to do this, or if it will really help the underlying issue, which may be more cookie-based (due to the per-browser nature of this issue).

2) Cookies! I need more information on how vanilla creates and destroys cookies so that I can hunt down why the sign-out is broken on Firefox and IE.

Can anyone help on either of these?

• Options

So I've found that if I manually go to http://hivejump.com/community/index.php?p=/entry/signout in my address bar, that the user gets successfully logged off.

I would like to make sure that hitting the sign-out button redirects the user in this way. (Similar to how @hgtonight had me use this $Configuration['Garden']['SignIn']['Popup'] = FALSE; to fix my sign-in issue)

Does anyone know where in Vanilla or the Bootstrap theme I can set this up?

Thanks in advance!

• Options

^Nevermind. That does NOT work. :-(

• Options

I am not seeing a silver bullet here. Ending the session should null out the session cookie.

Search first

• Options

If the user clears their cookies, they are logged out. Again, this is only Firefox and IE.

I'm pretty lost at this point. I'm going to try using someone's sign-in / out plugin and see if that helps.

• Options

Nope. Using the plugin did not help.

• Options

Switching to a different theme does not help either.