Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Enable ViewCount on Discussions but Disable (Remote) Analytics

For privacy reasons, I do not want to use (remote) analytics, i.e. no data from my forum should be transferred to other hosts (e.g. analytics.vanillaforums.com). However, if I set Garden.Analytics.Enabled to false, the ViewCount of discussions doesn't increment in Vanilla 2.2 (it did in Vanilla 2.1 !). Therefore, I activated analytics but set Garden.Analytics.Remote to localhost. Is this sufficient? Is there a better way to achieve my goal?

Unfortunately, for a small time interval, analytics where enabled and my forum registered itself at analytics.vanillaforums.com (it saved an application ID and secret in the configuration, which I then removed immediately). This means, that some data was transmitted to analytics.vanillaforums.com. Where can I request the deletion of that data?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Adrian is this your domain?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

support@vanillaforums.com

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2017

For the record (primary for other folks who read this later), I'm pretty sure the only data we store, aside from what's shown to you in the Dashboard, is:

• Host name & last IP address for that host
    • Server type & version (e.g. Apache)
    • PHP version
    • Vanilla version
    • When the server first & last connected
    • [We should be storing MySQL version but apparently aren't yet]

This should be 100% verifiable in the open source code.

We primarily use this to inform our decision-making.