Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Spaces are allowed in usernames

When users sign up with either twitter, facebook or google, they are able to use a username that has spaces in it, which makes it impossible to mention them in a post or comment. How do I stop this?

Comments

  • LincLinc Admin
    edited December 2015

    In Vanilla 2.2, you can mention someone with a space in their name by putting double quotes around it.

    @"First Last" is @First Last.

  • xm1xm1 New
    edited December 2015

    @Linc said:
    In Vanilla 2.2, you can mention someone with a space in their name by putting double quotes around it.

    @"First Last" is @First Last.

    It doesn't Work for me. When I mention someone with a space in their name, only the first part is linked. Like @First Last. and the link will be http://example.com/profile/

  • @xm1 said:

    @Linc said:
    In Vanilla 2.2, you can mention someone with a space in their name by putting double quotes around it.

    @"First Last" is @First Last.

    It doesn't Work for me. When I mention someone with a space in their name, only the first part is linked. Like @First Last. and the link will be http://example.com/profile/

    Same here! Anyone know what's up?

  • @Linc any ideas here, or @xm1 did you ever get this working?

  • hgtonighthgtonight Moderator

    @AaronWebstey I can confirm this doesn't work on a fresh install of Vanilla 2.2.

    Search first

    Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

    Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

  • I also should have mentioned that I am on a fresh 2.2 install. Duh. Thanks @hgtonight !

  • I've got this partially fixed, just by copying a couple bits of code from the freshest github code into my class.format.php file. Mentions with spaces now show up properly, but the user doesn't get notified yet.

    Also, I'm having an issue where hitting 'enter' in the mention drop-down adds a line break in the comment, but that's probably separate.

    If anyone's interested, I can show what code I changed. I'm proceeding on to trying to fix notifications - any pointers on where to look are welcome.

  • @AaronWebstey said:
    I've got this partially fixed, just by copying a couple bits of code from the freshest github code into my class.format.php file. Mentions with spaces now show up properly, but the user doesn't get notified yet.

    Also, I'm having an issue where hitting 'enter' in the mention drop-down adds a line break in the comment, but that's probably separate.

    If anyone's interested, I can show what code I changed. I'm proceeding on to trying to fix notifications - any pointers on where to look are welcome.

    @AaronWebstey Did you get this fixed? Can you share with me?

  • Thanks for sharing, @AaronWebstey! Mentions look good now on my forum, but like you, no notifications are being sent.

  • @Linc Any idea why this wouldn't be working? Or, where we can inspect to figure it out? Usernames without spaces get notified appropriately, while users with spaces in 2.2 aren't getting notifications.

  • LincLinc Admin

    As far as I can tell I was incorrect about this. The commit isn't in 2.2.

    https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/pull/2885

    It's possible it was merged after the deadline.

    It can get cherry-picked back to release/2.2 for the next patch release, or we can just wait for 2.3 at this point.

    PFAFFAaronWebstey
  • Would love to see this ASAP.

Sign In or Register to comment.