HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The plugin folder was not properly defined.

This plugin doesn't work anymore with vanilla Version 2.1.13p1.
When I try to enable it vanilla says : "The plugin folder was not properly defined."
it's quite old and still in beta do you know any good alternative I can use ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Welcome to the community.

I would strongly recommend that you upgrade to version 2.2 asap.

The version you are using is outdated, and contains serious security vulnerabilities.

Vanilla 2.2 ships with the plugin Stop Forum Spam.

Personally, I use Registration Restrict Logger in conjunction with Add Registration Question.

• Options

thank whu606 updating to 2.2 is in our roadmap indeed, I was wondering if a there was a quick way to fix it meanwhile

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

There are lots of discussions re:stopping spam on here.

For me, the plugins I've mentioned have reduced spam to 0.

• Options

We are now running the v2.2 but we still are under massive spam attack. I can't use those plugins as the registration is done in our main website and the user is automatically created in vanilla using SSO. Now looking into an alternative :(

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@gpapin said:
    We are now running the v2.2 but we still are under massive spam attack. I can't use those plugins as the registration is done in our main website and the user is automatically created in vanilla using SSO. Now looking into an alternative :(

No Vanilla addon I know of will block SSO connections from a trusted source. What software is your main site running?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    No Vanilla addon I know of will block SSO connections from a trusted source. What software is your main site running?

We don't want to block the SSO login the number of account created are relatively low and presumably created manually as we are system in place in our main website to prevent flood. As for what software it's using it's a in-house thing.

What we ideally want is something like askimet on wordpress for exemple. ie being able to detect spam content and flag it before it becomes a problem.

• Options

@gpapin said:

@hgtonight said:

We don't want to block the SSO login the number of account created are relatively low and presumably created manually as we are system in place in our main website to prevent flood. As for what software it's using it's a in-house thing.

What we ideally want is something like askimet on wordpress for exemple. ie being able to detect spam content and flag it before it becomes a problem.

There is an Akismet plugin available for Vanilla: https://github.com/vanilla/addons/tree/master/plugins/Akismet

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    There is an Akismet plugin available for Vanilla: https://github.com/vanilla/addons/tree/master/plugins/Akismet

I know it exists. In fact, this discussion is posted under this addon category, the problem is it's not working. I did try the github link just in case it was more up to date with no more success...

PS: I've update to v2.2 since my original post and the plugin is still not working.

For those wondering what I mean by "not working" please see the screenshot attached

• Options

@gpapin said:

I know it exists. In fact, this discussion is posted under this addon category, the problem is it's not working. I did try the github link just in case it was more up to date with no more success...

I am so sorry for my mistake.

What does the /plugins/Akismet directory look like in your webserver?

Search first

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    I am so sorry for my mistake.

What does the /plugins/Akismet directory look like in your webserver?

No worries :).

I just copied the content of this folder

-rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache 15173 Jan 4 12:45 LICENSE.md
    -rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache 12189 Jan 4 12:45 class.akismet.php
    -rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache 4798 Jan 4 12:45 class.akismet.plugin.php
    -rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache 2025 Jan 4 12:45 icon.png

It's clearly missing some files isn't it ?

• Options

@gpapin what folder did you put it in?

Search first

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Sounds like you dumped plugin files in your /plugins folder instead of creating an Akismet subfolder.

• Options
    gpapingpapin New
    edited January 2016

I did put it under the Askimet subfolder.

Have you tried this plugin and is it working for you ?

• Options

It looks like you have to remove the dummy ._ files macos create in the Akismet folder, otherwise vanilla just get confused...