HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Seeking a release manager for 2.5

LincLinc Detroit Admin

I'm looking for someone to manage the release of Vanilla 2.5. Its release is not dependent on this being fulfilled, I'm just interested in having the conversation. Getting applicants does not guarantee I will choose anyone to do this.

What it entails:

• Soliciting feedback on beta and release candidate versions from the community.
  • Identifying & confirming issues blocking release (vs "nice-to-haves" vs "not worth delays / next version").
  • Filing GitHub tickets for said issues, if none exists, and relaying them to the R&D lead (me).
  • Using Phing to build final releases and upload them (it's documented and pretty simple).

What it COULD entail:

These are at the volunteer's discretion since we are inventing this and don't have expectations established. They can choose all, none, one, or multiple. Maybe the next one chooses differently!

• Writing release announcements.
  • Publishing change logs between betas/RCs.
  • Compiling additional technical upgrade instructions as needed.
  • Assisting with patch writing & code review.
  • QA testing.

What it does NOT entail:

• Roadmap direction.
  • Developer scheduling.
  • Final call of in/out status for individual patches.

Gray area: Timing of the initial fork. We'll talk about it in advance, but I should probably be the one to pick the moment for this one.

Requirements:

These need not have been fulfilled at the time of this posting, but do need to be fulfilled before applying. You must have:

• Filed GitHub issues that were accepted.
  • Submitted more than one pull request that was accepted.
  • Posted more than once on this community.
  • Used Vanilla for at least 3 months.
  • Time to work on this in mid- to late-2017; at least a few hours a week.
  • Solid written communication skills. I anticipate all contact will be via email / chat / PM / discussion.

Email me at lincoln at vanillaforums.com if you're interested or have questions. I'm also happy to answer questions here. We're definitely not as formal as this post implies, I'm just trying to preemptively set expectations accordingly. :chuffed:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited April 2017

I should also note that anyone employed by Vanilla is welcome to apply for this too. I imagine it would take up some of your time out of the office (due to irregular communication intervals) but it's certainly something you can do as part of your normal work hours. You just need a thumbs up from your manager (assuming it isn't redundantly me).

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited April 2017

I'm interested in selecting someone in the May thru June timeframe. Meaning, I will wait until at least May before picking anyone, and I will announce someone no later than early June if I intend to do so for this release.