Seeking a release manager for 2.5
I'm looking for someone to manage the release of Vanilla 2.5. Its release is not dependent on this being fulfilled, I'm just interested in having the conversation. Getting applicants does not guarantee I will choose anyone to do this.
What it entails:
- Soliciting feedback on beta and release candidate versions from the community.
- Identifying & confirming issues blocking release (vs "nice-to-haves" vs "not worth delays / next version").
- Filing GitHub tickets for said issues, if none exists, and relaying them to the R&D lead (me).
- Using Phing to build final releases and upload them (it's documented and pretty simple).
What it COULD entail:
These are at the volunteer's discretion since we are inventing this and don't have expectations established. They can choose all, none, one, or multiple. Maybe the next one chooses differently!
- Writing release announcements.
- Publishing change logs between betas/RCs.
- Compiling additional technical upgrade instructions as needed.
- Assisting with patch writing & code review.
- QA testing.
What it does NOT entail:
- Roadmap direction.
- Developer scheduling.
- Final call of in/out status for individual patches.
Gray area: Timing of the initial fork. We'll talk about it in advance, but I should probably be the one to pick the moment for this one.
These need not have been fulfilled at the time of this posting, but do need to be fulfilled before applying. You must have:
- Filed GitHub issues that were accepted.
- Submitted more than one pull request that was accepted.
- Posted more than once on this community.
- Used Vanilla for at least 3 months.
- Time to work on this in mid- to late-2017; at least a few hours a week.
- Solid written communication skills. I anticipate all contact will be via email / chat / PM / discussion.
Email me at
lincoln at vanillaforums.com if you're interested or have questions. I'm also happy to answer questions here. We're definitely not as formal as this post implies, I'm just trying to preemptively set expectations accordingly.