HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.5 release schedule & features

Comments

• I upgraded and none of the dashboard options were showing up - whatever I clicked on it remained on the same page. I've rolled back but I think it was an issue with my .htaccess, @R_J 's answer to another question about the install giving a white screen pointed me in that direction. Have modified my .htaccess and will try the upgrade again tonight.

It's shared cpanel hosting so running litespeed web server and PHP 7.0.26

I'll report back tomorrow.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Vivant said:
    I upgraded and none of the dashboard options were showing up - whatever I clicked on it remained on the same page. I've rolled back but I think it was an issue with my .htaccess, @R_J 's answer to another question about the install giving a white screen pointed me in that direction. Have modified my .htaccess and will try the upgrade again tonight.

It's shared cpanel hosting so running litespeed web server and PHP 7.0.26

I'll report back tomorrow.

If you have the possibility, please test it with a clean install first. I don't think Vanilla has been tested with Litespeed by now.

And if you just see a blank page, please enable debugging to get more information.

• If you have the possibility, please test it with a clean install first. I don't think Vanilla has been tested with Litespeed by now.

Work fine very fast Vanilla Forum + LiteSpeed or OpenLiteSpeed,

• Upgraded again and some of the plugins weren't working such as IlikeThis which was OK as plugin incompatibilities are to be expected.. The dashboard was being temperamental with some sections not displaying and others OK. Themes and plugins for example did not display whereas content did. /utility/update worked ok.

Then when I emptied cache directory (as I had forgotten to do) I just got a white screen when accessing site

Had to roll back to 2.3.1 as am at work but will try again with error logging turned on and capture the exact errors.

edited December 2017

@Linc said:
    Vanilla 2.5 RC1 is now available.

Please test this pre-release carefully and report issues with 1) How to reproduce the issue and 2) Details of your environment including Apache/Nginx/IIS and PHP versions. Installation and basic troubleshooting instructions are in the README, please use them.

I've started upgrading process from a 2.4 beta installation by just copying over the files from GitHub. Here is what happened to me and my suggestion:

1. I've chosen the wrong file
    2. Cannot redeclare formatRssHtmlCustom error

"Solving" the first problem is impossible: you cannot make me read longer descriptions :mrgreen:
    But what would have helped me would be a direct link to the prebuild package

The second problem is more complex, though the solution is simple: Cannot redeclare formatRssHtmlCustom() (previously declared in /usr/share/nginx/html/vanilla/beta/plugins/HtmLawed/class.htmlawed.plugin.php:225) in /usr/share/nginx/html/vanilla/beta/library/core/functions.render.php on line 769
    **To all users with a "blank screen" on update:"
    That can be solved by deleting the plugins/HtmLawed folder. HtmLawed has been replaced by an internal VanillaFormatter
    The downloaded package only contains an empty folder so that it is obviously no harm to delete that folder.

@Linc: my recommendation would be to still include a HtmLawed plugin file with nothing more than something like:

// Some longer explanation
    public function base_render_before($sender) {
        Gdn::pluginManager()->disablePlugin('HtmLawed');
    }

That would replace the problematic file and disable this plugin

• 2.5rc1: I see htmLawed is not in plugins/ anymore and that Tagging is now a core feature.

I have a custom theme, and when I click to login the popup doesn't load. I can log in via /entry/signin though.

Also, when I click MeModule/MeBox gear which opens the menu, the menu opens but also it triggers the click and goes to my profile (as if I had clicked on a link), any idea on why this may be happening?

These are the issues I remember now : ) And that address rewrite is quite messed up.. Apache, php7

• Thanks @R_J that explains why I solved my white screen issue by deleting htmlawed but then I read that htmlawed should not be deleted but that was obviously for 2.3. Also had to remove the htmlawed plugin from config

• @Linc said:

It's been a long year.

We plan to release a 2.5 beta no later than Nov 21, with an release candidate to follow by Dec 5. The 2.5 gold release will happen by Dec 22 at the latest.

Is today THE day? :)

• @Linc are there any updates on the release date?

@smokvinlist
    @mlema

Linc said:
    Please test this pre-release carefully and report issues

There haven't been much feedback. What is your opinion? What have you tested? Have there been any problems?

• @R_J I'm still testing it so far the new UI looks great there are some warnings popping up every now and then however I am really looking into using the new API.

Could you tell us about that warnings?

• websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

Hello community. Any news about the release of Gold version?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited December 2017

@websfere said:
    Hello community. Any news about the release of Gold version?

@R_J said:
    @smokvinlist
    @mlema

Linc said:
    Please test this pre-release carefully and report issues

There haven't been much feedback. What is your opinion? What have you tested? Have there been any problems?

• Guys, need to keep promises.

Yes, it is open source free project, yet you greatly underestimate how constantly not keeping promised release dates affect Vanilla usage.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

And you, and those like you, greatly underestimate the complexities involved.

Have you tested the 2.5 release? Have you provided detailed feedback of any issues you have come across?

I'd far sooner a deadline was missed, in order for the release to be as good as they can make it.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

I certainly wanted to try it out and right before the holidays something came up and I'm delayed, so I can certainly wait and can't in good faith expect others to be immuned from unexpected delays.

While I'm looking forward to the new release I'm wondering whether the only reason for urgency is mere curiosity as opposed to a dire defect in the current version, one which I have yet to uncover.

Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year to all

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2017

Well, @R_J found a very real issue with the release in the straggler HtmLawed plugin files being enabled for everyone due to how FTP works and I haven't seen anyone patch it in the 3 days intervening, so it was waiting on me to have time to do that. I also found a defect in the Addons directory that appears to be stopping me from uploading the latest version of Vanilla, so that's a challenge as well and I'm sure one more thing for me to do on my own.

@maximka10 said:
    Guys, need to keep promises.

I announced a plan, not a promise.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2017

I've patched the HtmLawed issue in the release branch.

FYI, three other patches snuck in this past week as well, since the RC1.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I found the culprit.

Release is complete. Announcement coming.