Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Vanilla 2.6 is here! It includes security fixes and requires PHP 7.0. We have therefore ALSO released Vanilla 2.5.2 with security patches if you are still on PHP 5.6 to give you additional time to upgrade.

/tmp being filled with files called atomic*

I upgraded to 2.5.1 recently and my server ground to a halt as it ran out of inodes. When I checked there were nearly 750,000 files in /tmp called names like atomicgD2RWp.

Looking at the file contents I see:

<?php return Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(array(
'info' =>
array (
'name' => '+Baseline',
'description' => 'The default theme for Vanilla. This theme\'s purpose is to give the bare-minimum of styling on everything except the forum contents. Our goal is for you to take this theme and customize it by adding your own header & footer.',
'version' => '2.4.201',
'hidden' => false,
'key' => 'default',
'type' => 'theme',
'priority' => 1000,
'authors' =>
array (
0 =>
array (
'name' => 'Mark O\'Sullivan',
'email' => '[email protected]',
'homepage' => 'http://markosullivan.ca',
),
),
'Issues' =>
array (
),
),
'classes' =>
array (
),
'subdir' => '/themes/default',
'translations' =>
array (
),
'special' =>
array (
),
));

What is causing these files to be generated please and how do I stop them?

Comments

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

That file is normally in your Vanillas root/cache/theme/somethemename.php

I would suspect that a) you have set /tmp as your cache folder and b) Vanilla uses /cache hardcoded instead of using the constant it should use...

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

I'm quite convinced that you are using /tmp as the cache folder. The AddonManager has changed very much and this seems to be a bug.
    While it shouldn't be a problem to use another folder than /cache, by now it is a problem. I've reported that on GitHub.

You could "solve" your problem now, by either using Vanillas default cache folder or by creating a /tmp/vanilla folder and use a symlink to this folder for caching.

PaulButler
  • LincLinc Director of Development Detroit Vanilla Staff

Thanks for the issue & PR. I've asked a developer to look into it next week to see if it can make the 2.6 release.