Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

/tmp being filled with files called atomic*

I upgraded to 2.5.1 recently and my server ground to a halt as it ran out of inodes. When I checked there were nearly 750,000 files in /tmp called names like atomicgD2RWp.

Looking at the file contents I see:

<?php return Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(array(
'info' =>
array (
'name' => '+Baseline',
'description' => 'The default theme for Vanilla. This theme\'s purpose is to give the bare-minimum of styling on everything except the forum contents. Our goal is for you to take this theme and customize it by adding your own header & footer.',
'version' => '2.4.201',
'hidden' => false,
'key' => 'default',
'type' => 'theme',
'priority' => 1000,
'authors' =>
array (
0 =>
array (
'name' => 'Mark O\'Sullivan',
'email' => 'mark@vanillaforums.com',
'homepage' => 'http://markosullivan.ca',
),
),
'Issues' =>
array (
),
),
'classes' =>
array (
),
'subdir' => '/themes/default',
'translations' =>
array (
),
'special' =>
array (
),
));

What is causing these files to be generated please and how do I stop them?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

That file is normally in your Vanillas root/cache/theme/somethemename.php

I would suspect that a) you have set /tmp as your cache folder and b) Vanilla uses /cache hardcoded instead of using the constant it should use...

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I'm quite convinced that you are using /tmp as the cache folder. The AddonManager has changed very much and this seems to be a bug.
    While it shouldn't be a problem to use another folder than /cache, by now it is a problem. I've reported that on GitHub.

You could "solve" your problem now, by either using Vanillas default cache folder or by creating a /tmp/vanilla folder and use a symlink to this folder for caching.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Thanks for the issue & PR. I've asked a developer to look into it next week to see if it can make the 2.6 release.