Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The iPhone has landed....

Comments

• Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007
    "what's wrong with having that as a separate connector right next to a mini usb port"
    Because then it wouldn't be an iPod. It's all about the simplicity. How hard is it to remember one cable? (Your brother-in-law must have a lot on his mind.)

The iPhone is Wireless/Bluetooth compatible, so the extra USB port is sort of a non-issue anyway.
  • Options
    The iPhone is Wireless/Bluetooth compatible, so the extra USB port is sort of a non-issue anyway.
    reply from [Stash]
    I don't have a wireless card nor bluetooth on my computer. why can't Apple include a micro mini nano usb connector

btw does Zune comes with a usb connector
  • Options
    To be honest. The only thing this has going for it is the UI. Everything else is pretty below par.
  • Options
    Sheesh you people are so hard to please.

Obviously have never used a so called "smart phone" for any length of time.

My wife uses a Blackberry for work, she hates the bloody thing, but I am getting good at catching it when she tries to throw it out the window!

I believe Steve's statement was "...desktop class applications..." and "...rich text..." and "...HTML email..." and the bleeding thing runs OS X!

The worst thing for us down-under is waiting until 2008 for it, that is if Steve included Australia when he said "Asia" because technically we are not part of Asia but Oceania.

Also, there's lots of dealing with carriers before we get it. Much of the good stuff (like listed voicemail) apparently requires services at the carrier end. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Apple is negotiating with our Telstra BigPond, they can't even get their movie downloads compatible with OS X!

(Hey SirNot, am I ranting?)

Posted: Thursday, 11 January 2007 at 9:01AM (AEDT)

• Options
    I think calling it 'an incredible leap forward in technology' is perhaps ever such a slight exaggeration.
  • Options
    Watch the iPhone portion of the keynote before you bash it up. There are a lot of reasons why the iPhone single-handedly tanked PALM and RIMM stocks in a matter of minutes.

http://apple.com/quicktime/qtv/keynote/
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited January 2007
    @Wanderer: Alright, I suppose ranting was the wrong word. You do have a habit of spouting off apple ass-kissing posts, though... (no offense)

And, you know, the thing's software isn't the only concern. First and foremost, there's a huge lcd screen on the thing (heck, that's like almost the entirety of one side), which is most certainly going to bring down its battery life by a factor of 3 or something. I don't know about you, but I'd rather stick with regular buttons and have a phone that dosn't die on me within a day (yes, probably exaggeration, but the point is still valid). In addition, those lcd screens are a good deal more fragile than regular push-buttons (and because of the glass I wouldn't be surprised if it was heavier, too); as a phone is something you'd take with you wherever you go, I bet it'd be a lot easier to break than just a normal one. The cost, too, dosn't really make it the type of thing one'd buy if they just wanted a phone with some functionality. Especially since you'll be lugging it around with you, I'd rather not spend more than half a grand on something which could very easily be stolen.

Personally, if I want to do something, I'll get a product that does it and does it well. I know, it may be more convenient to carry around just a single object, but the phrase 'jack of all trades and master of none' didn't come out of nowhere. Furthermore, I'd rather lose/have stolen one product that performs one function than lose one that does eveything.
  • Options
    I watched the iPhone part of the keynote. That's what helped me understand exactly what this phone has. A nice design and some flashy UI tricks. Everything about it, barring the multi touch screen, is actually pretty normal/below par. At first I was caught up in the hype but then I compared it to my current phone and realised it was already better.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I love reading everyones thoughts and comments.

Let's face it. Phones that we have now suck. They are cumbersome and they're all different but work pretty much the same way. Take one look at how Apple's iPhone addresses voice mail retrieval and you'll understand exactly HOW this is a huge step forward. No other phone on the market today comes close. I had the 2nd gen Treo and the Treo 250 but while they were good at what they do, I was often "wishing" for something that wasn't so difficult to use. I think iPhone is a step in the right direction. I'm not saying that my phone as it is today doesn't do what it's supposed to do... just that if I had a choice, it would do things a lot better.

I just read SirNot's concern about the huge LCD screen. I'm not trying to knock him but let me just ask this question: in the future, do you think LCD screens will get smaller or larger? I think the future is a small form factor with the biggest LCD possible. I also believe that the future has to have better UI and usability than what we have today. I have a SamSung T809 and just about 75% of this thing is an LCD. I don't ever worry about scratching it because I keep it in an oakley cloth bag when it's in my pocket... no scratches yet... The blackberry pearl my good friend bought the other month, he now feels like it's a century old when he compares it to the upcoming phone. He now realizes that he's been compromising on how he'd like his phone to really work.

When the iPod came out back about 5 years ago, the first thing I thought was: "why did they make this thing? whos going to buy it? It's so expensive! It's 2-3x more expensive than the competing mp3 players out there". 3 months later I owned one and haven't turned back. It was truly a revolutionary device (for me at least) and I think for others as well since they've sold so many of them.

The price point will come down as there are more built, but in the end we are paying for Apples 2.5 years of R&D and thats what makes this phone so cool.

I think in the future, maybe, a lot of you who dismiss this product will own one.

------
    Take a break and enjoy a webcomic!
    nemu*nemu
  • Options
    OK SirNot, I'm convinced.

I'm selling my PowerBook and I'll carry around a memo pad and an old pencil with the end chewed off.
    Now if those are stolen I could replace them by spending under $2.00.

I don't know how expensive two tin cans and a length of string would be over there but I'm sure it won't break the bank.

Then again, who'd steal two tin cans and a piece of string?

And I don't ass-kiss (arse-kiss?), when I talk something up it deserves it. It's not just a coincidence that an outfit like Apple keep coming up with the goods.

One criticism I'd have of the iPhone is the battery. I heard on a rumour site it was to have two batteries, one for the phone functionalities and another for the iPod. Current battery technology is very limiting, I'd be discouraged from using the iPod if I was relying on the phone being available in a business scenario. This issue I believe will be limiting factor for people who research before they buy.

Then again, by the time we get one in Australia, hopefully such limitations may be ironed out.

As for 'jack of all trades and master of none'... from what I've seen so far it certainly masters everything miles ahead of anything else I've seen out there. The sales posers I work with get a new phone more often than they change their socks and none of them (the phones) impress me at all.

An announcer on a TV News program here summed it up nicely: "Now why did it take them so long to realise that's what a smart phone should be?"   pic

Posted: Thursday, 11 January 2007 at 9:49AM (AEDT)

• Options
    edited January 2007
    It looks sweet to me. I watch videos on my PSP daily (I never use it for gaming anymore), I used to browse the internet on it, until I downgraded my firmware, I listen to music on it (and I only have a 1 GB card, so I have to change the media on it daily, sometimes, two or three times a day, 4/8GB would really help). The iPhone really seems like a perfect product for me. Not having to carry around my MP3 player of choice at the current time (PSP or iPod) seems awesome. I watched almost all of the keynote, and Jobs started to piss me off with how he over-glorified it by using words like "Incredible" and "Fantastic" every sentence. Let me decide whether or not it's awesome.
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007
    I was pretty impressed by the fully functioning Safari browser with tabbed browsing. No other phone can do web browsing on that level. You could practically moderate a Vanilla Forum from the palm of your hand anywhere you go.
  • Options
    gigingergiginger New
    edited January 2007
    I think in the future, maybe, a lot of you who dismiss this product will own one.

I'm not saying never. I'm just saying no this version. To many shortcomings. It's a shame as it'll be arriving here in the UK at the same time as my contract comes up for renewal.
  • Options
    I'd love to watch the keynote but for some reason the links dont work for me...
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007
    You need QuickTime to watch the Keynote (if you have iTunes, you have QuickTime). You can also watch it by opening up QuickTime and going to: [Window ---> Show Content Guide] I agree, I'd wait for the 2nd Generation when the price comes down and the storage goes up.
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007

SOURCE: BEAR STEARNS
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cool chart dan (good find) :). Is there a bigger version that I wouldn't have to strain my eyes on?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You know, since apple are in the middle of getting sued by cisco for using their registered trademark, I wonder if they aught to rename this thing. Clearly it's not a phone since it's competing in the blackberry market (for those of you who love to read between the lines please not that that is by no means a bad thing, but really, it isnt a phone). Have apple got a product called the iDea (digital e-assistant) yet?
  • Options
    I thought that Cisco thing was settled?

The iDea, I love it!

Posted: Thursday, 11 January 2007 at 2:55PM (AEDT)

• Options
    edited January 2007
    @Ginger the multi touch screen is pretty new technology. no other product including tablets have this technology and ur saying its below par. have u gone totally kookoo or what. I know u hate Apple. but please. put a sock in it. ur complaining about 3G, what % of US market uses 3G anyway. the phone right now is just for US. when it will released to the world and it doesn't have 3G then u can complain all u want. u haven't touched the darn thing and ur saying its below par just by watching a video. @c-unit- Steve can say whatever he wants. u have the right to ignore it, don't you. so why complain about totally useless things. @ Sirnot- the target is not for someone who is looking for a phone with some functionality. the target market is smartphone users where u do everything u can. all in one. smartphones don't go in the pants they go in ur shirt pocket or suit pocket. being easily stolen isn't an argument u can use against a product. diamond rings and necklace cost thousands of dollars. they don't complain about droping the price cause someone can just rip it off my neck. you have to protect ur property. Dan just posted the comparison. u can see the weight of iphone is in the same as the average of the others.