Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Cannot enable extensions after upgrade

rus bowdenrus bowden Lowell MA
edited July 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have been working all day in trying to get two things done:

1) Upgrading from Vanilla.1.0.1 to Vanilla.1.0.3

2) Changing the folder where the forum is located to a simpler URL:

from here:

http://pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1

to here:

http://pochapocha.com/cc/

The problem I am currently up against, is that after I put this code into extensions.php:

if (!defined('IN_VANILLA')) exit();

. . . I then cannot go into Settings and select an extension. For instance, I downloaded "Smiles", but cannot enable it. I get a pop-up that says: PARAM 'SMILE'

I already had "Improved Sidepanel" enabled, but had disabled is some weeks ago. So, I thought to give that one a whirl to see if the problem lay with "Smile" or with the enabling process. Sure enough, I got a similar pop-up box.

This is the first day I have had to work on this project in weeks, and the day is coming to an end. Should I just go back to Vanilla.1.0.1 and wait for 1.0.4, or is there something I have missed?

I am only working at the old URL at present, having abandoned for the moment the idea of going to a simpler URL, as the extension problem got to where I lost the BB code, and so out went the formatting to poems posted. I decided that if I can get the old URL working, that will be a huge first step, then I can worry about transferring to a better URL.

Yours,
Rus

Comments

• Options
    Bump.

This has me stumped. I am unable to enable extensions after upgrading to 1.0.3.

Please help if you can. I have left everything the way it was so anyone can view. If there is no solution, then I need to go back to 1.0.1 so I can have a fully functional forum.

Yours,
    Rus
  • Options
    No suggestions, no comment.

An unfixable bug?
  • Options
    Your site doesnt seem to be responding at all for me. Where exactly did you put that line in extensions.php? Can you paste the full contents of your file?
  • Options
    Hi Minisweeper, Thanks very much. I just refreshed, and it loaded fine. Here's the address again. http://pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/ Below is how I have the file. Yours, Rus <?php if (!defined('IN_VANILLA')) exit(); // Enabled Extensions include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."AddComments/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."DiscussionFilters/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."ExtendedTextFormatter/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."FCKeditor/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."Statistics/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."HtmlFormatter/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."ParticipatedThreads/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."PreviewPost/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."Quotations/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."Gabbly/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."WhisperNotification/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."WhosOnline-2006-05-06/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."BetterBBCode/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."BBInsertBar/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."InlineImages/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."QuoteText/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."Poll/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."Notify/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."Style/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."GuestWelcome/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."PageMng/default.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."Vote/default.php"); ?>
  • Options
    Can you disable the extensions?
  • Options
    Good question. I just tried to disable Gabbly Chat, and got the pop-up box saying: PARAM: 'GABBLY' Yours, Rus
  • Options
    Ok try deleting all the include() lines out of your extensions.php file then enabling one of the extensions...
  • Options
    I just did that, and was unable to enable an extension. So I put back the file as above, which is how it is now. Yours, Rus
  • Options
    Hi Stash, Thanks, but what code should I wrap in those tags? I've never done that before. And I don't know what you mean about "changing your comment formatting to 'Html'. I know what HTML is, but I don;t know what the comment formatting is that you're referring to. Yours, Rus
  • Options
    Quote: rus bowden
    pic I don't know what you mean about "changing your comment formatting to 'Html'. pic
    Rus, look underneath the Comments Box below...

It says: Format comments as Text or Html

Posted: Friday, 2 March 2007 at 8:06AM (AEDT)

• Options
    Oh. It's not showing up right?
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well it shows up here on this forum, does it on yours?

Actually it does not show on mine!

I seem to remember installing an extension with a preference to default it to HTML and not show the option below the comments box.

Later...
    Also this setting under Account Tab/Forum Preferences...
    Show the comment format type selector when adding comments
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No, I mean it looks good the way I posted, so my thoughts didn't go to getting instructions on how to post code in this comment box. The code as I see it above is how it looks in my extensions.php. And because that is how it appears, I did not understand the request. When I asked, "It's not showing up right?"--I was asking if there was another way it should be displaying for better readibility. On my forum--I am trying to get the small private forum of friends, CaptivaChat, up and running. The Positive Change Poetry Channel forums at pochapocha.com will be cross-cultural. That will not be small potatoes. It will start relatively slow, but should attract several key online poets upon announcement. It will then be tied to at least one periodical. All these aspects will work together to create an online resource for poetry and art that should be very empowering for artists and readers. I need to know I can work with the forum software, and the forum software will work for the artists and poets who will frequent the site. I need to be sure Vanilla is what I want. It seems so. Different poets will want to post HTML, BB Code, some differently at different times and applications--whatever way they can to get their poetry and artistry to display--their audio and video too. The poets are artists with language and need all tools at their disposal. Last Sunday, I had another day when I could update things, and hopefully start working with the sidepanel so I can put links in. If I can get a powerful sidepanel going, then Vanilla can work, and easy naviagtion throughout the site will be possible. It was great news to me that there was an extension that can change the colors. This is what I was looking for so that an English poet would know where they were, different from a French photographer--these forums need to appear differently. I can get to customizing themes at a later point--or hand it over to someone crafty with it. The next time I will have a day to work on this stuff may be a week from now, or may be a month. And I find myself hung up here trying to simply go to 1.0.3 from 1.0.1. All help is very much appreciated. I am looking in here at least twice a day so that I can find out what I need to do to get past this. Yours, Rus
  • Options
    I tried allowing users to change the style but it led to many hassles for me.
    When updating something I had to ensure it worked on all styles, the more styles, the more work for me.

I appreciate you wanting them to feel at home but I think it's more important they feel they belong to a community.

Good luck, I admire your tenacity.

Posted: Friday, 2 March 2007 at 2:15PM (AEDT)

• Options
    edited March 2007
    At pochapocha.com, I will need the styles or colors for the different forums. A yellow forum will be yellow for all--no choice for the user--and red for all, and green for all. The colors will be a cue to which forum the user is on. If I come up with themes, the colors will change the same way. Many artists do music, poetry, photography--all sorts of things. So they will need both easy navigation, and immediate recognition of where they are. Also, just for writing, there are many genres, and so several forums possible--not to mention languages. These will be added as needed. In that small group of 11 at CaptivaChat, there are two who translate and interpret for their livings. Others speak multiple languages. So, manuevering from one language to another will be necessary. Some of these languages will be the most popular in the world, probably English, French, Italian, Norwegian for starters. I would love to have a place myself to translate Tang Dynasty poetry. But there are also countries that need forums to create poetry and such, just to keep the langauge alive on the planet. And for instance in Africa, there are developing countries that need these resources to help establish a canon. But at CaptivaChat, each if us is an admin anyway, so why not let everyone have their own style for whatever sustained mood they're in. And jeez, if one of us gets mad one day--poof--there goes the forum. Hey, we're good friends.
  • Options
    Bumping, because of the urgent nature of the problem.
  • Options
    Impossible?
  • Options
    Have you tried jumping to the latest version now? (i.e. 1.1.1)
  • Options
    Is there something to it that addresses such an issue? I will try it, maybe next week end, although work will be crazy then. I've got to figure how I want it all backed up, in case I need to revert to 1.01, the version that was working. Thanks.
  • Options
    There have been quite a few changes in the latest version and it may be that one of them will fix your issue. Regardless there's not much point working through a load of bugs and not even ending up on the latest version :)
This discussion has been closed.