Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Cannot enable extensions after upgrade

Comments

• Options
    rus bowdenrus bowden Lowell MA
    Please. Yes. I'm backing up now. This is absorbing all the time I have on the Sundays I get off.
  • Options
    Atleast you get them off! I got 4 hours sleep last night following my 12 hour shift yesterday and I've just finished todays! :p
  • Options
    y2kbgy2kbg New
    edited March 2007
    no man there is a bug in 1.12, i am assuming that you are installing this locally, edit your conf/settings.php so that cookie domain is set like this:
    $Configuration['COOKIE_DOMAIN'] = '';

Mark has found this bug, and is working on fixing it.
  • Options
    y2kbg: Thanks. The I am finished for a while with this project. Minisweeper: I have work, but I also had many other things to do with poetry to complete today, which I have not, and which I can only give a cursory glance and response to. These things simply do not get done. This forum software is becoming way too high maintenance. Consider. I work a sceduled 60 hours per week at my job, with multiple 12-hours days. I have my column that alone takes another 30-40 hours per week, with its blog. Not to mention another poetry blog, that I am converting from Blogger to WordPress, because Blogger was bought by Google, and Google has no idea what bloggers do. I had ranked the ezBoard problem response at B+. Blogger could not be worse by design. They take weeks to respond, and then just to tell me to try something I already treid, because they do not read what I wrote to them, but look for a categoprical easy answer. After they answer, they move on as if they did all they would ever ever need to do, as brilliantly as ever, and ask for an employee of the month badge for all they do. But, that ezBoard problem speaks to the fact that I am associated with IBPC, and need to be responsive to 20+ poetry communities. For instance, just before this post, I was posting to a poet from Ireland who was trying to get into a US college's MFA program. Just the regular stuff I need to be responsive to. Never mind, write another poem. So as you can see, on one hand, I do not expect eveything to go smoothly, but on the other hand, I need to find the balance that allows me to be effective. At this point, all these problems with Vanilla are keeping me from accomplishing anything. Here I spent from 10:00 to now (not to mention all the time from the last 4 weeks reflected in this thread) working on the problem with 1.0.3, only to find out that the hopeful solution, to upgrade to 1.1.2, involved upgrading to an issue with it's own set of bugs. Somewhere in the previous months, I should have moved onto getting the forum software customized for the application I downloaded it for six months ago.
  • Options
    so you have tried what i said, and it worked(because i know if you try it it will work) but you still will not be using vanilla?
  • Options
    y2kbg i doubt he's installing this locally...? Rus, I sure hope you enjoy your job.
  • Options
    I have no more time today. None at all. I will dive back into this situation as soon as I can. The last two times now, that I have addressed this problem, it has been for hours. Thanks very much. Sincerely.
  • Options
    Well as I say if you're willing to give me access to your server I'd be happy to give it a quick onceover and see if I can sort out any issues for you. Just let me know.
  • Options
    Sure, and thanks. Please e-mail me: lowelldude@aol.com I've got everything backed up, and I'll change passwords now. Yours, Rus
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    @ y2kbg:
    It is not a bug. Vanilla 1.1.x assign the cookie_domain and cookie_path settings to the session cookies as well as standard cookies.

So you need to use a valid cookie domain or no cookie domain at all. A one word domain like localhost is not a valid cookie domain, so the browser (or php) don't create the cookie. In Vanilla 1.0 invalid cookie domain prevented you from using the "remember me" option. It also stop you to stay logged in Vanilla 1.1.
  • Options
    but the bug is that the installer allows the cookiw domain tobe set to "localhost", in fact it not only allows it, it reccommends it.
  • Options
    true. It should check it.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Wow. Can't believe I missed so much of this discussion. I hope everything works out for you one way or another, Rus. I understand it can be frustrating when things break, but it's not like I throw Vanilla out there without testing it. I test it with every version of PHP, every version of MySQL, and every browser/version that I claim to support. When dealing with a stable release of Vanilla and problems arise, it is almost always due to custom configuration settings by the user, add-ons that haven't been as thoroughly tested as the core, or faulty/unusual web server setup. We're here to help, and we do what we can, but there's only so much we can do from around the world with no access. Regardless, thanks for sticking in there and continuing to try. Vanilla can be a very satisfying product when it's running on the correct fuel :)
  • Options
    Just to let you guys know I've got 1.1.2 up and running OK on rus's server so now I just need to find time to migrate his data across and get a few more extensions on there..we'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    @Mark: I appreciate what you are saying. But I only followed instructions. I'm not sophisticated enough to handle "custom configuration settings" and I have been on the phone numerous times with ixWebhosting to be sure it is all configured normally or properly--thus putting Vanilla to the "user-friendly" test, or maybe the idiot-proof test, if you prefer. Last night, Thomas there was even e-mailing Minisweeper. So, I am not saying you are wrong, but giving input so you can see how it comes about that Vanilla doesn't work in the travel lane. The other thing is that the forum CaptivaChat is small potatoes and slow-moving compared to what I downloaded Vanilla for, where I might like to, over time anyway, get into some of those "custom configuration settings" and make a muscle car out of it. Either way, I am in the breakdown lane. Minisweeper: Thanks for all you are doing, and staying up late. It is very much appreciated. I'm hesitating to fiddle with anything like extensions and all while you're fiddling yourself. But, if you have the extension issue resolved, then unassociated with it is that half the time I load the page, I get what's below, on either IE or Firefox. ~~~~~ Notice: Undefined index: top_posting_user in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 87 Notice: Undefined index: top_discussion_starter in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 88 Notice: Undefined index: categories in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 94 Notice: Undefined index: categories in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 111 Notice: Undefined index: discussions in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 94 Notice: Undefined index: discussions in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 111 Notice: Undefined index: comments in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 94 Notice: Undefined index: comments in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 111 Notice: Undefined index: users in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 94 Notice: Undefined index: users in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 111 Notice: Undefined index: newest_user in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 94 Notice: Undefined index: newest_user in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 111 Notice: Undefined index: top_posting_user in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 94 Notice: Undefined index: top_posting_user in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 111 Notice: Undefined index: top_discussion_starter in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 94 Notice: Undefined index: top_discussion_starter in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 111 Notice: Undefined index: unique_guests in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 94 Notice: Undefined index: unique_guests in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/captiva/forum/Vanilla.1.0.1/extensions/Statistics/default.php on line 111
  • Options
    That's a problem with the statistics extension. Have you read the readme.txt that come with extension and followed the instructions. Check also the discussions about this extension.
  • Options
    Not since I installed it. I'll remember to check it out. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'll put the stats extension up on the new forum and see if it throws up any issues...
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'd be interested to find out from Mini why there was so much trouble here.
  • Options
    Rus - I've copied all your data and all the extensions you had enabled onto your new forum under the cc folder. I've had a quick play with it and I'm not getting any errors but i've not tested it in any detail. Would you mind checking it out and seeing what you think? Mark - I'm not sure why Rus was having so much difficulty. The installation/etc for me was reasonably flawless besides a few issues caused by me being lazy. I did manage to come across the param popup issue (on my forum, not his) which occurred when i did a straight file replacement as an update from 1.0.1 to 1.1.2 and was back on the forum within a matter of minutes - a hard refresh cured this issue so i guess there was a change to one of the files in the ajax folder which caused this.
This discussion has been closed.