Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

phpbb migrator

2»

Comments

• Options
    Is this now compatible with 1.1.2 or do we still need to migrate using 1.0.3?
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay in replying. It is compatible with vanilla 1.1.2!!!
  • Options
    Excellent! That makes my life SOOOOO much easier.

Thank you for updating this!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for a compatible migrator.

Can anyone point me to directions for using it?

Also, I gather I'm supposed to have the same MySQL database for both my old phpBB and my new Vanilla boards? I don't - the Vanilla information is in a different database. Is it possible to transfer the old phpBB data into my new MySQL database, and then run this migrator? Thanks!
  • Options
    Please?
  • Options
    Assuming it's not changed too radically from the one I wrote, you use it by uploading the files it contains to any dir on your web server, browsing to that dir, and running through the links in order to migrate your data. You can move the data from one database to another by using phpmyadmin or something to dump the data from one db then import it to another. That should be a fairly easy process in a mysql manager (phpmyadmin) and there are instructions how to do it on the web if you do a quick search..
  • Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Options
    Does anyone know about any drastic database changes from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3? I want to update the migrator.
  • Options
    I moved the tables from the phpbb db to the vanilla db. Installed vanilla 1.1.2 ran the migration scripts and got meny errors, but the data was moved. Everything is present in the database, but there is no text on Discussions and comments. All that is shown is the Disscussion title. No other text. How could this be fixed. Could it have something to do with phpBBpostid? Thanx
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hope it is welcome, but I made some tweaks to the migrator script and thought I would share them. Some of the sql was malformed for me, backticked values, single instead of doublequote. Fixing that made it run for me, and add the ability to import categories, forums and discussions with apostrophe's in their title (something that chokes v0.3). I also added a proper prefix variable, so you only need to set your value at the top, and all references to your database tables will use that appropriate prefix (one for phpbb, one for vanilla). For my personal installation, the time execution calls at the bottom were causing errors. Sadly, instead of looking into this, I simple commented the code out. It serves no purpose though it adds a nice feedback to the user. The attachments and tag files were left untouched, because I never used those mods. Anyway, with this snap of code I was successfully able to merge my phpbb2 database. http://mirwin.net/files/[v0.4]migrator.zip -- Michael Burns http://mburns.isfound.at/
  • Options
    I had a similar issue, the script won't import comments, but descriptions come out fine. I get a page full of "Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /migrate/comments.php on line 47" Could it be that I'm importing from PHPBB3 instead of 2? I don't think the database structure is significantly different to kill the import.
  • Options
    If it has even 1 change it might well cause trouble..
  • Options
    Which is the latest verison of the migrator?
    Where can I download it?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    This discussion is regarding Vanilla 1. Is that what you're looking for?
  • Options
    I've contacted @mburns to see if they still have a copy of the 0.4 version of the migrator and if they are willing to allow me to fix the link to it.

At the very least this might be a useful starting point...

@Lincoln, ideally a way of using your Universal Forum Migrator to convert to V1 would be kinda groovy ;)

IIRC the Universal Forum Migrator was planning to convert to a "Universal" format first and then translate that to V2 - if this is the case we could just create a "translate to V1" part for it couldn't we?
  • Options
    @Lincoln

I've a quite populated phpBB forum: I'll switch to Vanilla2 for sure.
    In the meantime I'd like to switch to Vanilla1 (live) to have a more suitable platform for the upgrade then...
  • Options
    Here's a copy of the phpBB -> Vanilla Migrator v0.5eB that I had on my server if that helps.

http://www.mattriddle.com/12stone/phpBB_migrator.zip
  • Options
    candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Thank you ThaRiddla!
    I've opened it: there are .php files only and no .txt at all... Can you provide a quick tutorial too? I have no idea how to start/run these files.

Errata corrige: I've found this...

http://lussumo.com/docs/doku.php?id=vanilla:migration:phpbb#overview

... but I'd like to install it on a different server/address to preserve my phpBB installation for the first times. Any suggestion?
  • Options
    StashStash
    edited April 2010
    @candyman, Yes, export your phpBB data, install a local version of phpBB and import you data to that, then run the migrator ;)

@ThaRiddla, thank you! :)