Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla on an iPhone (Safari 3.0)

124»

Comments

• Options
    You fail to see a lot of things mate, yes you linked it and left it there and if you read it and thought it was worthwhile (the stupid perspective angles thing) then you are clutching at straws to find failings in Mac OS X!

Posted: Wednesday, 11 July 2007 at 4:12PM

• Options
    gigingergiginger New
    edited July 2007
    So I'm to be derided for providing a simple link? Get real.
    I don't need to scratch around to find flaws in OSX. There's plenty of them. Just as there's plenty in Windows. The difference is that Windows users don't pretend there's no flaws. We accept that there's no such thing as perfect and get on with our tasks.

We've made a lot of constructive criticism here whereas you just lambast and put people down who don't share your, bizarre, opinion that Apple can do no wrong. They're

So I've said something bad about Apple. If you actually stepped back and stopped focusing on that then you'd see that I've also said plenty of good things.

This'll probably be my last reply to anything you say Wanderer, unless you come out with something so utterly reprehensible that it needs commenting on.

Next week then.
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited July 2007
    Digg just released an iPhone version of Vanilla. Check it out: http://blog.digg.com/?p=86 Actually, it looks a lot like Vanilla: http://digg.com/iphone Hmmm... I bet it would be really easy to make an iPhone-ready theme for Vanilla. The coolest effect that I'm seeing in Safari (apparently you need Safari/Webkit to access the site) is the jump-to-next-page "wipe". Apparently it uses a bunch of JQuery.
  • Options
    Quote: giginger
    pic So I'm to be derided for providing a simple link? pic
    No mate, I mocked you for providing an article almost as inane, absurd and asinine as you and your thinking.

Of course neither OS is perfect but you can't compare the virus infested, blue screen of death prone situation with the shadow angles on a dock icon being .2 of a degree off!

If you never replied to one of my posts again it would be way too soon.
  • Options
    I just saw a post in the WP forum about viewing WP on an iPhone. I re-read this thread to see if anyone actually was able to view Vanilla on an iPhone. So, has anyone seen Vanilla on an iPhone? There is a reference in the WP post to someone who built the java/css interface, in case anyone is interested.
  • Options
    That's just if you want to make a specially formatted iPhone interface with slick effects and fit-to-iPhone-screen navigation. In theory, if you can view Vanilla in Safari WebKit (which you can), then there isn't any reason why Vanilla shouldn't work on an iPhone. You just have to zoom in and out constantly.
  • Options
    It looks like someone made the interface for WP so that it displays properly using the interface tool kit by Joe Hewitt for making iPhone apps. Just thought you developers out there might be interested in this reference.
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited July 2007
    And, there's also the official documentation: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/ http://developer.apple.com/iphone/designingcontent.html
  • Options
    Well i've just dropped safari since it seems to manage no better than firefox without somehow ending up a few days later using 100% cpu and several hundred meg of ram. I'm also pretty convinced it's no quicker at loading pages, and although I got used to the text rendering (now firefox looks wierd!) it's still different and whatever else it claims to be able to do super well. Maybe I'll give it another look when it's out of beta..
  • Options
    I am running Safari 3.0 at the moment with 6 other apps and it is using 1.22% of the CPU and is accessing 53.62Mb RAM of 123.16Mb available to it (not counting virtual memory if required). Oh and Uptime is 22 days, 13 hours and 14 minutes!

I suppose Apple still need to get their head around Windblows' peculiarities when it comes to memory management.

Posted: Tuesday, 24 July 2007 at 7:51AM

• Options
    Perhaps they do. I even gave it a very simple task of just running a window containing this community, and facebook. Compared to firefox running 5 windows and about 40 tabs combined. I dislike the way firefox gives up every so often but atleast then I can just kill the process and restart the entire session - for some reason although the option to open previous closed windows was actually there in safari, it was permanantly greyed out - leaving me a little clueless how to get back my previous setup.
This discussion has been closed.