Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vcal (Event calendar) Alpha screenshots

Comments

• Options
    exspiro. this is not hard to do. just have to think about usability, hoe lrge will be the picture and how will text wrap or show on top of the pic. have to think about its design
  • Options
    Perhaps you could make the display of the calendar event modular? This way users who want pictures instead of text could do so. Personally, I'd have no use for this and probably would disable the feature to speed things up a bit :) Looking great! Any chance of releasing a test build?
  • Options
    need real world example When this is released what will you do with it. I need this for more screenshots, I don't want empty fields
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Concert event listings. - Name of performing acts - Time event starts - Price of Admission - Location - Link to purchase tickets online
  • Options
    Ahh I don't have a cost field. more examples please
  • Options
    Oh sorry, I didn't mean that one would be needed, just meant that is what I'd put in the Description field.
  • Options
    I'd be using it for a Football Club community site.

Fan events
    Match Fixtures (Home and Away)

errr... think mis-one has everything I need covered above.
  • Options
    Real-world usage example (I think you have most things covered already): I'd be using it for an events and seminar calendar. They're not so numerous as to need a calendar view, so a list view would work best in my case, ordered by forthcoming date (rather than vanilla's own last posted/commented on) and self-expiring when past-date (but not removed entirely). In my case visitors are more interested in what kind of things are on first, then they go check their calendar to see if they have time then. It'd be useful to be able to 'sticky' the site owner's own events to the top to override the sort order (as is normal with vanilla). Event fields: - Title - Date begin / Date end (recurrence option, some recur but almost always irregular, e.g. same event runs a few weekends over summer) - Location / ZIP (PLZ, as in Germany) - Organiser / organizer tel or email field - Event link (if available) - possibly category/event-type seminar, conference, meeting, workshop... The rest including full description, further contact details, description, how to get there, possible application form as attachment all in the normal description. I'd want to limit ability to enter events to certain roles (i.e. needs a permission that is assignable to a role), possibly with admin moderation. Ideally I'd want to show the calendar on a tab of its own, or even on a higher level site-wide level (could also be done ith an .htaccess redirect). I like the idea of being able to call up the calendar as a clutter-free item in itself without the forum controls, but clicking for full details takes you to the forum post, people can ask questions if necessary, the poster can answer them. Finally the poster can post photos from the event later if desired. Also possibly of use (and maybe not difficult if it uses vanilla's own discussion/comment listing methods) is an rss-feed so that the event feed can be parsed elsewhere on the site, e.g. as a list of the next three upcoming events on the front page.
  • Options
    This is getting pretty complex but if you wanted to you could even give users the ability to add their own events and choose whether to make them private, public, visible only to certain roles, or visible only to certain people.
  • Options
    calendars will be role specific. just like categories. you will be able to select which calendars to show and which to block just like categories. but their won't be private, public access. why post private events on a public forum. private events go in your own private calendar like Google Calendar. visible only to certain roles, this can come later on. visible only to certain people, not with the current limitations of whisper system. perhaps after Vanilla 2
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    (recurrence option, some recur but almost always irregular, e.g. same event runs a few weekends over summer)
    Absolutely no calendar software, or service allows you this. Are you sure your users know how to use reoccurring?
  • Options
    Here are a few examples on what I planned on using this add-on for (i'm very excited). I'll be using this for my office, mainly.
    Some of this can certainly go into the thread that is created for each event, but I wanted to give you all the info so you can see what I would be needing it for.

Product Launches
    product
    launch date
    description

Promotion Schedules
    start date - end date range
    promo details

Work Schedules
    Multiple locations
    retail enviornment, so it's multi-hour blocks within the day
    all employees are members, so if the event/schedule block can be tied to a user profile, even better

Project Scheduling
    project name
    project details
    target finish date
    start date

That's the majority of uses that I'll be utilizing this for.
    Additionally, if there is an option for multiple calendar installs...even better. For the wide range of uses I am going to have for this, I can see it getting pretty cluttered pretty fast. i guess I could install one, and install another under a different name as long as i had the option of changing db info so they don't get merged together.
  • Options
    Another screenshot added. Its the calendar form. where you can add different types of calendars and specific role and color of the events
  • Options
    Can the calendar be user specific, so like a profile page, each user gets their own calendar? This would be quite useful for me.
  • Options
    what will they do with their own calendar. post event that only they can see?
  • Options
    As we say down-under, bonza beauty mate!
    I love the color-picker!
  • Options
    I'm going to be using the calendar for event scheduling for online workshops, electronic registration. For instance, an admin will create a event (workshop), then delegate control to one or more users (instructors), most of the time one user. I'd be happy to make this an extension myself if the calendar is able to be extended in this manner. Having multiple calendars is certainly nice and I'm glad that's built-in (judging by the latest screenshot). Stick to Vanilla's philosophy of simplicity, and give programmers plenty of room for extensions ;)
  • Options
    How about I just give you a feature of custom fields. add as many as you want and for what ever reason. that will decrease the amount of fields in the event form as well.
  • Options
    Makes sense, something like what's done on the Account Profiles page?
  • Options
    This would be useful:

Set a single event that occurs over multiple days, but with different start and end times on the days.

eg. a 4 day seminar, starting on Monday and ending on Thursday, but with these timings:
    Monday - 0900-1700
    Tuesday - 1000-1700
    Wednesday - 0900-1330
    Thursday - 0845-1850

Possibly even with a "break day" such as:
    eg. a 4 day seminar, starting on Monday and ending on Thursday, but with these timings:
    Monday - 0900-1700
    Tuesday - break
    Wednesday - 0900-1330
    Thursday - 0845-1850