Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Alternatives to FCKeditor

2»

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited March 2011
    Actually, Minify was shown to reduce page load times fairly significantly for a comparatively low cost of effort for the average forum owner. Low effort is what we're aiming for 90% of the time, so this is a win for us and our users.

The idea is to determine what js and CSS is loaded *always* or *often* and condense that, then conditionally load the rest. This has the net result of reducing the number of connections opened to the webserver, and eliminating the overhead that those create.

If you notice, the plugin is still in its infancy and was released somewhat prematurely as a proof of concept in a way. We're slowly making improvements to it in order to mitigate some of the obvious (yes, painfully obvious, even to morons like us) downsides.

On the subject of Automated Minification being useless, you are incorrect.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Also, stop linking your bug tracker. Next time you do it you're banned.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Why I must be banned? It seems extremely strange.
    I do not see here anyone who can understand your GitHub issues list that is full of outdated things.
    I offered you to install any other normal bug tracker yourselfs, and I'll move all issues I have on mine to yours.
    Right now no one can work on core because you can't see any bugs and features people are working at. Commints come from nowhere as complete surprises.
    If you want to work this way, do not call it open source project.
    I work at UX design, user supupor and lead, but never saw such approach.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Right now no one can work on core
    Not everyone got the memo.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    @Lincoln

You do not read my messages :-)
    So, here is this part again:
    Right now no one can work on core because you can't see any bugs and features people are working at.
    Commints come from nowhere as complete surprises.
    How I can get information about bugs they are working at, or features?
    I know about idea of no premature information.
    But most information must be available for bugs and known upcoming features.

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    How can it be better done with your own bug tracker or any other one?

Vanilla team work on what is asked by their clients, because if they want to be able to do such a product and being paid for that, that's what is needed.

Other work on their own free time for their own goal, and vf team do work on committing those things when they have time. If you like vanilla, and want it to be a success, that's the way to go.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    OK, I got idea.

It looks like separate fork will be my only option then.
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    That's just common sense.
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    Some bugs are minor inconvenience, some are just not bugs at all.
    When some bugs are indeed serious, the team does work pretty fast to solve them and to release a new version.
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    OK, I got idea.

It looks like separate fork will be my only option then.

Nice to edit and change completely your comment...
  • Options
    @luc

I don't have any complains about their speed, their bug fixes selection. Just because it is non of my business.
    But I must understand who works on this (if anyone). And that version will contain fixes.
    Especially for not serious bugs and features requests.