Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

phpbb to Vanilla conversion tool

bobthemanbobtheman
edited January 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Has anyone made a working phpbb to vanilla conversion tool yet? im running 3.0.7 pl1 and want to attempt to move over all my members.

Comments

• Vanilla 1 or 2?

Using the search community function...

For Vanilla 1 you probably want to follow this post and see how it goes for you.

For Vanilla 2 you would probably want to speak to Lincoln about how to modify his vBulletin importer for phpBB.
  • Vanilla 2

Im not concerned with anything fancy, what ever is easiest as far as the conversion process. I just want to move the users overs and posts. im not worried about bbcodes smilies or anything.

@Lincoln
    How did your vbulletin importer come around, and would you be interested in helping mod that to import phpbb

i also remember seeing talk about a universal import tool, not sure if this is possible or if anything ever came about
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @bobtheman phpBB will be a priority for the universal importer. I recommend patience for now. :)
  • bobthemanbobtheman
    edited March 2010
    takes patience pill and crys for now

@Lincoln
    has any production started on the universal importer yet?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @bobtheman It's all I worked on over the weekend. :)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    :D !!!
  • @Lincoln
    my programing skills arnt the greatest yet, but i will be more than willing to test it out on phpbb and contribute any help i can. Is or are you going to post it up on github ?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @bobtheman Yup, it's on GitHub, but it's not complete enough for any testing. I'll let you know when there's something worth trying.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm migrating a phpbb3 board to vanilla2 - it's been done almost entirely through sql... And a password converter inspired by @Lincoln's work.

As far as I remember the only thing i needed to "hardcode" in the sql script was the user groups i wanted to migrate...
  • excellent @AnotherDan

maybe we can collaborate and work together on the phpbb portion of the converter
  • @bobtheman: I have no problem contributing to a phpbb3 based converter... :)
  • @AnotherDan Thanks

@Lincoln
    can you link to the github
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    http://github.com/lincolnwebs/VanillaPorter

To add to it you'd make a class.phpbb.php file in the style of the (barely started) class.vbulletin.php. There are still some gray areas about how I'm going to get some non-standard info into the export.
  • bobthemanbobtheman
    edited March 2010
    @Lincoln & @Mark

importing and exporting user data in core is a feature that garden/vanilla lacks currently. This would be a great opportunity to develop this. This way after i use the conversion tool, i can export my user data and forum discussions so i can preform a quick and easy fresh install and import everything back if need be.

maybe after a successful conversion, it should ask to export all data. this would be convenient.
  • @AnotherDan
    Did you have any success with your conversion? can you post your conversion tool/scripts so i can merge what i have so far. if you can throw them up on github or pastebin that would be great.

Im in desperate need of a internal v2 export utility. Between using the v2 beta, updating to newest github files, and attempting to convert in users from a phpbb database its extremely important to export what i have "users and vanilla posts" so if anything goes wrong i can do a fresh install and import the backup.
  • @bobtheman, if you have phpmyadmin access, can't you just take an SQL dump of the users and comments tables? I've not looked at the V2 database structure at all, so I'm not even sure this is possible, but I would have thought it would be something simple like this?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @bobtheman Preserving user data is important to me and will not be overlooked, one way or another.
  • @bobtheman - yes i've had great success with the converssion - it's not a thorough import of everything in phpbb i've made... I've focused on getting the simple user data, categories, discussions and comments - and that worked fine...

Still have some issues regarding permissions in the categories to figure out a better way to do...

The conversion I'm doing needs alot of changes in the structure of the categories (to use the vanilla terminology) - but I will put my work in progress up for everyone to use...
  • please do and link to it if you can... Im excited
  • Hi all,
    is there any progress with phpbb3 import, please?
    thanx