Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FCKeditor

Comments

• u should still give it a try to preview post with fckeditor it works fine. just tested it
  • So far I'm really liking this addon. Has anyone got it to work with the Quotations add-on?
  • Fckeditor and Quotations http://lussumo.com/community/?CommentID=48036
  • Hey MSB!

Thanks for the kickass editor. The folks over at FB (www.chrisrue.com/funboard) are veddy veddy pleased with it.

I'm only seeing one issue (which may or may not have to do with FCKeditor).
    Basically, any link with a URL longer than 100 characters will not redirect at all.
    In fact, if you hover on such a link, the target URL doesn't show in the status bar (tested in IE7). However, if you Preview the post, all links work at expected. The URLs do embed correctly & are viewable in both source editing view & the link edit box after posting.

This is an issue for our folks for 2 reasons:
    - Links to MS download sites are never under 100 characters.
    - Links to the Funcave (www.chrisrue.com/funcave) are rarely under 100 characters either ;)

Thanks in advance to anybody who can shed a little light on this.

All best,
    Chris
  • isn't this a cosmetic issue
    the IE7 status bar has limited characters. so i will won't show u the whole url
    when u save the message does it work or no
  • Thanks for the quick response.
    Not cosmetic.
    It's doesn't show anything at all for URLs over 100 characters.
    All 101+ char URLs don't work after saving the post.

Feel free to come visit FB (www.chrisrue.com/funboard).
    I've got a test post in the Funlab that shows the issue that you can check out if you'd like.

More details about my implement:
    Vanilla 1.0.3
    Theme = default
    Style = cloud6
    FCKEditor = 2.4.1
    Other extensions = tons, but can send you a full list if you want
  • It's not working for me. My forum simply ignores the extension. Am I doing something wrong? Vanilla 1.1.2 FCKeditor 2.4.1
  • did u download fckeditor from fckeditor site, and read the documentation
  • i installed this editor on my forum but the buttons are missing from the comments form. if I enter html it will take some, like font properties and sizes, but not tables bgcolor, etc. Could anyone give me any suggestions? thanks.
  • tables and other stuff have been disabled in it.
    u have to enable them urself

open up config.js
    Add this line right after the Autogrow line
    FCKConfig.Plugins.Add( 'tablecommands' ) ;

then add the buttons on the toolbar
    FCKConfig.ToolbarSets["Vanilla"] = [ ['Source','-','NewPage','Preview','Undo','Redo'], ['Bold','Italic','Underline','StrikeThrough','-','Subscript','Superscript'], ['RemoveFormat','Cut','Copy','Paste','PasteWord'], ['Style','FontSize','TextColor'], ['JustifyLeft','JustifyCenter','JustifyRight','JustifyFull'], ['OrderedList','UnorderedList','-','Outdent','Indent'], ['Table','TableInsertRow','TableDeleteRows','TableInsertColumn','TableDeleteColumns','TableInsertCell','TableDeleteCells','TableMergeCells','TableSplitCell'], ['Link','Unlink','-','Smiley','SpecialChar','Image','-','Video','-','FitWindow' ] ] ;
    then open up settings.php
    and add this
    'table' => array('class' => 1, 'id' => 1,'cellspacing'=>1, 'cellpadding'=>1,'width'=>1, 'height'=>1, 'summary'=>1, 'align'=>1, 'border' =>1), 'thead' => array('class' => 1, 'id' => 1), 'tbody' => array('class' => 1, 'id' => 1), 'tr' => array('class' => 1, 'id' => 1), 'td' => array('class' => 1, 'id' => 1), 'th' => array('class' => 1, 'id' => 1),
    and whatever else u require. remember u have to specicially tell it to allow it, So attributes that are not listed will be stripped away
  • thanks MySchizoBuddy. I still can't make it work. i installed both the extension and fckeditor, and I thought that after enabling the extension a toolbar was goiingt to show up in the comments forms but it is missing. that's my biggest problem, the toolbar is missing. i've tryed following the instrucctions on the readme file but they must be outdated or something because nothing happens after doing what written in it. thanks for your help again.
  • leo, you need to tell us what browser you are using. This extension is know to not work in Safari.
  • Gentlemen,

I just found a Safari related bug. If you have been reading my previous posts in this thread, you will see that I at first could not post in Safari but then I deleted the Safari prefs file and I could then enter posts (albeit, with FCKeditor disabled). However, only today I discovered that posting via Safari in this condition strips out all carriage returns. So if you type in 3 paragraphs and click the "Add your comments" button, you will find all your text clumped together in one massive paragraph.

I've tried everything, but it's clearly impossible to create line breaks in Safari!

The really interesting part is, if I disable the extension and then return to my post, all the line breaks show up! It's like magic: Turn on FCKeditor extension, watch your Safari-posted line breaks vanish; Turn off FCKeditor extension, warch your Safari-posted line breaks appear!

So this is either a bug in the extension or a bug in FCKeditor.

Thoughts?
  • Seems to me you answered this yourself in comment #33 above...

"This extension is know to not work in Safari."

Posted: Friday, 20 April 2007 at 3:26PM

• If you read through all my posts on the subject, you will see that: (1) at first I found it to be a trouble-maker extension in Safari in that it would lock up the text entry field; and (2) I later found that the real trouble was a Safari prefs file, that when deleted the text entry field unlocked and allowed one to post; and (3) although FCKeditor (which is used by this extension yet not one in the same as this extension) will disable itself in Safari, my post yesterday was to show that it is not "100% disabled" insofar as you cannot edit/enter text via Safari in the same manner as you could with the FCKeditor extension disabled -- more specifically, all your carriage returns are stripped out when you enter text in Safari.

Why did I post this if I know FCKeditor is incompatible with Safari? For the reason I have just stated in this post above: because if FCKeditor can gracefully disable itself and allow Safari users to input text in the same way they would if the FCKeditor extension was not enabled, then they would be none the wiser and Firefox and IE users could enjoy FCKeditor while Safari users could enjoy posting messages as they would expect. But as I found yesterday, FCKeditor doesn't disable itself 100% (or there is a bug in the FCKeditor extension, which as you know is NOT the same as FCKeditor -- software you must download separately). If it did disable itself 100%, then carriage returns would not be stripped out. But since they are stipped out, it is clear something is not being disabled completely, and for that I reason I posted with the hope that someone may know of a fix and then I can implement that fix and leave FCKeditor enabled. But because I myself consider the lack of carriage returns in posts to be a big problem (as it would be for anyone who knows how to write English well), I have posted here to find out what is possible.

But again, I find it very, very curious that all the carriage returns "suddenly appear" when I merely disable the FCKeditor extension. This indicates that it could be a simple bug in the Vanilla extension, as opposed to a bug in the FCKeditor itself. But since I am not the author of this extension, nor do I know much about PHP, I cannot solve the problem myself. And just because this extension says it is not compatible with Safari, that shouldn't mean "it will destroy the experience for Safari users." I simply interpret that to mean that Safari users won't be allowed to see or use the FCKeditor button bar or take advantage of its features. In other words, "this extension is incompatible with Safari and therefore disables itself when it senses the browser is Safari."

If it is not possible to 100% disable this for Safari users, then clearly I will have to disable the FCKeditor extenion in the end. But it never hurts to ask before doing that.

Thanks.
  • Read the last line here

Posted: Saturday, 21 April 2007 at 2:29PM

• Wanderer, all I can say is "please reread my post above yours, focuses your attention specifically on the first sentence of my second paragraph." I wrote that sentence with full knowledge of what MySchizoBuddy had said in that last line of his post you are referring me to. The facts stated in my post above, however, stand. And for the purpose of clarifying how I myself define the term "compatible," please refer to the last sentence of my 3rd paragraph above.

With all this said, I wouldn't be posting any of this had FCKeditor no means of playing nicely with Safari, which it clearly does because it by and large disables itself in Safari. If it was truly "100% incompatible," it would make no attempt at all to disable itself. But it in fact does disable itself, with the lone exception of what I posted above: line breaks are stripped away. But again, I don't know if this is a bug in FCKeditor or in the extension, which I wrote above are two different pieces of code.
  • All I can say is that, in my considered opinion, I find that anything not compatible with Safari is written in a way to take advantage of os/platform/browser specific non-compliant weirdness and should be ignored by self-respecting and member-respecting admins.

No matter whether it disables itself gracefully or otherwise.

Posted: Saturday, 21 April 2007 at 3:12PM

• Wanderer, being a fellow Mac OS X and Safari user myself, I am in full agreement with you that "it truly sucks rotten, poisoned eggs" that there exists no Vanilla extension that will allow Safari users like ourselves the covenient means of making text bold, underlined or italic. Nay, I would go even farther by saying that it is "infuriating"! While I do have Firefox on my computer, I prefer Safari, as do most Mac users. And I think it silly (or rather "totally nuts") to expect all our valued forum members to manually type in HTML code in order to make text bold, italic or underline!

But rather than dwell too much on things that will merely serve to depress me and raise my blood pressure, as someone who advocates literally the best OS and web browser on the planet, I feel compelled to consider what "options" I can give to users of my Vanilla forum with respect to text editing in both Japanese and English. What I have found is that, to date anyway, FCKeditor is about the best option for Vanilla in this regard. But alas, Wanderer, you are correct in pointing out the "greater bug" that prevents FCKeditor from working in Safari as it does in Firefox or IE! And how hideous a flaw that is!

But in the end, I, as a Vanilla forum admin, must make the decision on whether to offer advanced text editing to Firefox & IE users sans Safari, or force all my forum users to "suffer" as mu Safari users must, with zero text editing features. With the aim of choosing "blessings for some" over "suffering for all," I have posted my experience with FCKeditor above. Others who follow in my footsteps will find exactly what I have, in that if you wish to enable FCKeditor, it for the most part disables itself in Safari with the lone exception that all line breaks are stripped away. If this one flaw can be fixed, then those who wish to offer "blessings for some" will be blessed indeed. This is all I've been trying to say.
  • Quote: JDW
    pic ...there exists no Vanilla extension that will allow Safari users like ourselves the covenient means of making text bold, underlined or italic. pic
    Try Quicktags. pic

Posted: Sunday, 22 April 2007 at 10:04AM