Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FCKeditor

Comments

• Did u enable Visual editing
  • Thanks for flagging me on that. No I had not enabled that setting.

Just to clarify skube's post above...

1) Click the Account tab.
    2) Click "Forum Preferences" in the left sidebar.
    3) Spot the "Visual Editing Preference" toward the bottom of the page that appears and tick the checkbox.

After doing that, FCKeditor starts to load in Firefox (Mac), but I then get the following error dialog:

Error loading
    http://www.website.com/forum/js/FCKeditor/editor/plugins/Video/lang/en.js

Clicking OK to that dialog then yields this dialog:

Error loading
    http://www.website.com/forum/js/FCKeditor/editor/plugins/Video/fckplugin.js

Clicking OK to that then yields yet another dialog:

Unknown toolbar item "Video"

After that the toolbar loads and I can edit text to my heart's content with FCKeditor.

Next...

I know that Safari was blocked by your extension in the past, but now that Safari 3 is out, would you might re-enabling it so we can test? I am reading that the nightly builds of FCKeditor are working in Safari for some people, so it would seem worthwhile to re-enable it once again, or maybe add an option so the user can enable or disable it? Thanks.
  • It sounds like you didn't copy the Video directory from the extension over into the FCKEditor you installed in the js/ directory
  • gpreston, you are correct in that I turned a blind eye to the following line in the FCKeditor extension readme:

4) Copy the included Video folder to /js/FCKeditor/editor/plugins/ that will enable the embedding of youtube and google video

After copying that into /js, the problem goes away. Ooops!

Well, I still would appreciate knowing how to reneable Safari so we can test it in the new Beta. Thanks!
  • Since my Whisper to MySchizoBuddy (author of the FCKeditor extenion) has gone unanswered for the past 4 days, I've decided to post the content in the open forum.

Can we please have a beta version with Safari functionality re-enabled? Please?

As you all know, Safari 3 is out. Not just for the Mac, but for Windows too. MySchizoBuddy disabled Safari from showing the FCKeditor tools because past versions were incompatible. But from what I've seen, the latest editions of FCKeditor are compatible with Safari 3, hence the code in the FCKeditor extension that now blocks Safari should be disabled so we can test it with Safari 3.

Thank you!
  • Could you take a look in the code and disable the bit that discriminates against Safari?

I might take a look at it to see if I can hack it.

Posted: Tuesday, 10 July 2007 at 10:55AM

• Sorry I couldn't test this, there's too many hoops to jump through to install this gadget and I can't be bothered.
    Open default.php in a text editor and add the xxx in these three places, that should stop it balking in Safari...

// only detect safari if ((stristr($navigator_user_agent, "xxxkonqueror")) || (stristr($navigator_user_agent, "xxxsafari"))) { $browser = 'xxxsafari'; $dom_browser = true; } return $browser; }

Posted: Tuesday, 10 July 2007 at 11:21AM

• Excellent post, Wanderer!

It is quite unfortunate to see that MySchizoBuddy is no longer supporting his extension (as evidenced by his continued refusal to post), but perhaps another savvy member of our Vanilla community would be willing to adopt the code? This is really a terrific extension, and the only major flaw that I found previously was Safari 2 incompatibility.

So I will try the hack and test with Safari 3 sometime tomorrow.

Thanks!
  • there's too many hoops to jump through to install this gadget
    I agree Wanderer. Would it be possible to get this extension updated so it included a copy of FCK and was all contained in the one extension directory?
  • JDW, I'm not sure MySchizoBuddy is refusing to support this extension, I think he is away or otherwise indisposed. He's always been very keen to fix problems in any of his extensions very quickly. Besides FCKeditor is not his extension, he simply adapted it to work with Vanilla.

And [-Stash-], I think there may be licensing issues involved in distributing FCKeditor but I may be wrong, I've been wrong before but I can't remember when exactly!

Posted: Wednesday, 11 July 2007 at 8:49AM

• I hate licensing...

Reading through the FCK license page, I don't see there would be any problem packaging it up as a single download. But *please* someone else who knows about these things double check for me :)

Just in case I'm right, I've packaged FCK 2.4.3 up into a single package with the current extension (no Safari changes, sorry). I've uploaded it to my own webspace as I cannot email MSB (no email on his user page) - please feel free to yell at me to take it down MSB if you don't want it up there, it's very much only for testing purposes for those brave few. I've only tested it on Vanilla 1.1.2, but I've done it on both a root installation and a one level down installation both with and without the js/css packer installed/enabled and everything works for me.

It ends up being a chunky extension (868KB ZIP file or 440KB RAR), but I think it's worth it just to make installation as simple as download, extract, upload, enable :)
  • I have asked MArk to increase the Extension size limit so far, it hasn't happened. FCKeditor cannot fit in 100kb. Can u guys send mark an Whisper or email and ask him to up the extension limit.
  • I'll send him an email t add to yours. I understand keeping a limit on extensions, but it would be good if he made exceptions to specific ones he knows are worth it, like yours Schiz :).
  • Mine isn't working. I've read this whole thread. I've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled everything including the video folder. I've set it in the forum preferences. the box is checked but I get nothing. What's going on?
  • Get any errors? Enable it on your forum, give us a link to it and a login we can use so we can see what's going on.
  • I don't get any errors. It simply doesn't show up. The TinyMCE to work, but not this one. I will turn off the TinyMCE and turn on the FCK right now. here's the testing forum http://www.standalonegraphics.com/forums/categories.php It's set to let anyone view it. EDIT: Sorry. Forgot to include the login NAME: Test User PASS: temp1234
  • You shouldn't have TinyMCE and FCKeditor enabled at the same time...
  • I don't. FCK is ON and Tiny MCE is OFF I didn't even have TinyMCE on the server when I first tried it.
  • hmmmm it was there. And NOW it's working. I guess the folder had to be "FCKeditor" instead of "fckeditor". I never changed that though. I figured it would be right by default. I also changed some permissions in hopes that it would work. I'll let everyone know if I come across anything else while using it.